Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Sew Much?

The great thing about being in households run by my mother, grandmother and aunts is that they always have sewing things handy. I've never seen my grandmother crochet but when I last visited her, I wished I had a hook handy and lo, out of her cupboard came yarn and a suitable hook.

My mother even has a sewing kit in Moore Avenue where she doesn't live and where I'd occasionally rummage to find threads in colours my own box was missing. To be in a place where you have access to not just basic repair materials but also embroidery floss, fabric, hooks and knitting needles is to feel more than a little at home.

Right now we're at Ro's and one of the first things I did was mend a few clothes of Puchke's using Ayaan's sewing kit. Yet another reason why this boy makes me proud... he has a sewing kit!


Before we left Calcutta one of the first things I sorted and packed was the contents of my sewing cupboard. Deep shelves full of fabrics and notions; wools and hooks and needles; all sorts of dinky thingamajigs I rarely use but which make me so happy; threads of almost every kind, from sewing to cotton yarn. If you sew (or embroider or knit or crochet or...!) you'll know the happiness I get from all this.

1 comment:

Roshnai Chaudhuri said...

Hi Sue,
I work a corporate job which does not leave me any time for my secret love - embroidery. But I can totally relate to the inexplicable happiness of rummaging through sewing supplies. I get to do this on rare weekends and it rejuvinates me like anything. Oh BTW, I am highly myopic and so sewing is not something that was ever encouraged by my family.

-Roshnai