Thursday, July 03, 2014

Village Diary of a Heretic Banker by Moin Qazi


Village Diary of a Heretic Banker is a book I worked on earlier this year. The author, Dr Moin Qazi, is a gentleman who spent well over two decades working on rural microfinancing in the villages of India, as an official of State Bank of India. I found his insights, described through his personal experiences, to be extremely interesting. Among other things he sets out and explains the advantages of the Indian microfinancing model over the one imported from Bangladesh, how women's Self Help Groups flourish and falter based on the ground realities of individual circumstances and many other such intricacies of rural banking. His accounts, thankfully, do not require special knowledge of banking or finance (I have neither).

Obviously, my perspective is biased, but I can tell you that I found Dr Qazi's writing at once humorous and honest, and I enjoyed editing this book much more than I had hoped for. The book is available at retailers on and offline (see poster). I hope you will take a look and consider buying it. 

3 comments:

The Bride said...

Marking it on goodreads my latest obsession. For now, the cover looks nice ;)

Sri said...

Wow..seems interesting..will be joining the microfinance industry shortly so will be relevant for me!

Sri said...

Just remembered-I heard Chetana Gala Sinha, the founder of Mann Deshi Mahila Bank speak at a conference recently..it opened my eyes to rural banking...