Tuesday, January 07, 2014

The Second Child

We're expecting our second child, due this summer.

I just finished my first trimester. My mother nagged me not to talk about it in public just yet so I blogged privately for a few days until the three-month deadline was done.

Now you know.

To answer your immediate queries --

1. Yes, we are all very happy.

2. Rahul loves the idea. He will be eight years older and though I always knew in an abstract sort of way that he would be a great Dada, it's his excitement and enthusiasm that keep me going when my minor bouts of nausea or major bouts of fatigue dim the edge of my own joy. So far he's planned out the sibling's schooling, career, clothes and toys and ticked me off in advance for any scolding I might dish out to the younger one. Apparently I scold 'babies' too much and while he knows this and knows me, the new one won't, so I better not. Point taken. Will anybody ever know me like this son of mine?

3. Yes, I'm showing. Have been showing from the start, I feel! I have to be a little careful not to put on too much weight because I was slightly overweight to start with, but so far so good.

4. Yes, my parents came down. Now they are taking it in turns to keep an eye on me.

5. I haven't gone in for much maternity wear yet but since I've mostly outgrown my wardrobe already, I need to do something about this soon. Thank god for winter jackets and shawls.

6. No, I'm not running around taking ridiculous risks. In fact, unlike the last time when I had lots of energy and hated the bedrest, this time all I want to do is curl up and sleep. Maybe it's the season. Maybe it's the baby.




A very happy new year to you all from me. This pic's from Dana's thirtieth birthday party, with Vicky dressed as Groucho Marx, Rahul as The Shy Jedi and I as Mr Cellophane. This is the kind of family the new one will be joining!

30 comments:

Ritu Lalit said...

Congratulations. Mine have an 8 year gap. Older one thinks he's is the parent, and younger one thinks the older is a pompous ass. I have fun watching this dynamic play out

ArtsyCraftsyMom said...

How wonderful! Congratulations :)

Sue said...

Ritu -- LOL Thank you for sharing that! I look forward to seeing Rahul cope with a baby, I must say.

Ruma said...

So very happy for you and the fact that you are having another child! Intelligent kids do not make happy only children, they just make it seem that way. Love to you three and the bump.

Sue said...

ArtsyCraftsy -- Thank you :)

Ruma -- You know, I agree with you. It may have been different for my only children cousins because we cousins grew up next door to each other and very close in all our interactions, but Rahul's really on his own. I fear he'll spoil the kid though!

Sunita said...

How very wonderful!!! So the ' I m preganant ' status was right on :)
Hugs and take care.

சென்னை பித்தன் said...

all the best

Swapna said...

Heartfelt Congratulations to you Sue
- Have been a long time reader through many years.
And this post definitely called for me to comment.
Have a great time parenting yet again.

R's Mom said...

oh okay I was going to send you an email asking you all these questions :) So great that you answered them :)

Super congrats...and loved that picture :) you are a nice family the little one will be joining :)

Priyanka said...

Sunny, all my love to you three plus Ickle Bumpie. I don't know what Rahul wishes for, but this time I hope it's a lovely little girl. (Although another little boy will be just perfect too.)

Keep us posted on how things go, and an extra special hug to Rahul for being such a wonderful dada already.

jottingsmine.blogspot.com said...

HUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGS! :-D

mayG said...

OMHYGODDDDD SUSIEEEE!! congrats my love :D I am SO happy for you!!!! *does a jig*

~nm said...

Congrats girl!! Yes you will love it. And with my own experience when Anirudh was 7.5 yrs when Nishka was born, he was such a big help and such a doting brother.

rads said...

aw, it's mostly the baby :)

My son and my lil one are 8 years apart too. It's the best thing that can happen actually, the kiddo grows up with 3 adults and is the baby and it's kinda dress-free too. Plus, the parents remain younger longer ;-)

Enjoy and congrats!

Anonymous said...

Congraats Sue!! Awesome...Take care of your health.....wishing you a healthy pregnancy...

-Bhavani

jiyon said...

god bless!

Mallika Ganguly said...

Its the baby that's making you sleepy . Rahul has the makings of a SUPER dada- tell him I said that. Love to you 3 and the mosh!

Mallika Ganguly said...

Its the baby that's making you sleepy . Rahul has the makings of a SUPER dada- tell him I said that. Love to you 3 and the mosh!

Sue said...

Sunita -- Yes, it was accurate :)

Tamil Gentleman -- Sorry, I can't read your name, but thank you for the wishes.

Swapna -- thank you :)

R's Mom -- :P See, I was right to put up an FAQ!

Priyanka -- Thank you. He once suggested a girl would be nice but mostly he's ok with a kid, any gender.

Jottings -- :D How've you been?

MayG -- Aww, thanks. Hugs back.

nm -- I'd forgotten, your two have the same difference, of course. Thanks for the encouragement.

Rads -- How lovely. I've been teasing my husband that now he'll be the oooold father at the school events etc.

Bhavani -- Thanks

Jiyon -- I'm so glad we could let you know in person. Bhalo thakish.

Mallika -- Noooooo, don't you go around spreading that name. I'll tell the boy what you said.

Sue said...

Sunita -- Yes, it was accurate :)

Tamil Gentleman -- Sorry, I can't read your name, but thank you for the wishes.

Swapna -- thank you :)

R's Mom -- :P See, I was right to put up an FAQ!

Priyanka -- Thank you. He once suggested a girl would be nice but mostly he's ok with a kid, any gender.

Jottings -- :D How've you been?

MayG -- Aww, thanks. Hugs back.

nm -- I'd forgotten, your two have the same difference, of course. Thanks for the encouragement.

Rads -- How lovely. I've been teasing my husband that now he'll be the oooold father at the school events etc.

Bhavani -- Thanks

Jiyon -- I'm so glad we could let you know in person. Bhalo thakish.

Mallika -- Noooooo, don't you go around spreading that name. I'll tell the boy what you said.

Anonymous said...

Oh how wonderful! Congratulations!! Hope you have a lovely second pregnancy (I thoroughly enjoyed my second pregnancy, as my first was full of scares and bed-rest and the like)
- Maith

Saya said...

yayyyyyyyyyyyy.. are you due in July?

Sri said...

Oh wow..Congratulations!!

Loved the family pic, too!!:)

indianhomemaker said...

Congratulations :) And that's a lovely family pic!!

Sue said...

Maith -- That's the plan this time. So far, so good. :)

Saya -- Yes! How're you keeping?

Sri, IHM -- Thank you :)

Jay said...

Congratulations! :-D

S Singh said...

Glad you're back! And how exciting! :)
Congratulations! God bless! x

Matrix said...

Congrats Sue..

Sue said...

Jay, S Singh, Matrix -- Thank you :)

palsworld said...

Congratulations Sue. Hope you enjoy every stage of the pregnancy. Looking forward to reading about Bhablet No. 2 :)