Tuesday, January 14, 2014

ThankYou #18: Beq's Mum/Kakima for the Ada Cha

Ada cha is what we Bengalis call ginger tea. If you have never made it before, it's a simple process:

Set some water to boiling in a covered saucepan. The cover hastens heating. Quickly peel a lump of ginger, say 1" long (bigger if you're using more water or like more ginger, less if it's the other way around) and drop it into the water. Add a splash of milk for one cup of tea, more for more cups. When the milk-water combo boils, turn the heat off. Add some tea leaves -- about 1/2 to 1 tsp per cup, cover and leave to steep for a minute or two. Strain into a cup, add sugar to taste. Ta-da!

All of these proportions are matters of highly individual taste so feel free to experiment until you work out how much ginger, milk, sugar and tea you like in your ada cha.

Vicky just made me some to cheer me up and it did the job quite nicely. The reason I thanked Kakima though is because she was the first person to make me ada cha one winter morning many years ago. I fell in love with the mild bite and recently taught Vicky how to make it too. Every time I have some I think of her and smile. She's given me a lot of love and support over the years, and the comforting ada cha is a perfect metaphor for how she makes me feel.

No comments: