Wednesday, August 07, 2013

Relative Superiority

We just got back from a whirlwind weekend in Pune with some of my mother's family. It was a wonderful time.

That and some FB posts from last week have made me think about my extended family. Among my grandparents' descendants, I count PhDs, doctors, engineers (including one who helped craft CGS Barracuda), research students, professors, teachers whose students remember them fondly decades down the line, lawyers, notable homemakers (including my grandmother who died thirty years ago but whose food is mentioned with reverence even today by random people)... Of course, we have our share of 'failures' and less notable people like my brother and me.

My little cousin E who is growing into a young lady faster than I can type that out is on the brink of choosing what she wants to do with the rest of her life, as is her older brother B. I wonder what they will do with their lives.

Some days I am simply proud of all these people, even the ones I don't particularly like. As a family we believe in using what we have. I think my grandparents did a good job with the children they had. And somehow, I am convinced that Rahul is going to blaze a trail every bit as bright as any of them. I have no idea why I know this in my bones but I just do. I shall have to be very careful to understand his needs so that I don't douse the spark in him.

No comments: