Wednesday, January 02, 2013

New Beginnings And A Funny Memory

I went to bed rather depressed on 31st December. Funnily enough, I woke up quite chipper on 1st January. I felt an inexplicable sense of relief that 2012 was over. It was a rotten year and I'm glad it's over. No doubt 2013 will rush to compete but just for now I can pretend things will probably be better.

...

In August my great-aunt was in town. She organised a memorial get-together for my great-uncle who passed away some months earlier. I heard about the proposed party for many months, always referred to as "Khurima's get-together". Now, finding a saree I want to wear and having a matching blouse that fits me is not always easy. I settled for a comfortable crepe in white, navy, black and brown. The matching blouse was 'backless', with just three ribbon ties on the back, so fit was not a problem. The trouble started when I walked out of the room, dressed to party, and my mother stared in horror and asked what I thought I was doing in a backless blouse at a memorial. I told her it was a get-together, she said it was a memorial. Either way, there was no time to go home (40 min away on a good day) and change. I could wipe my makeup off, but it didn't stop my aunt from putting on her most outraged expression when she eventually saw me.

Then my didi and her sister, the other two Roy girls, walked up the stairs in brightly coloured sarees, with makeup every bit as bright as mine, all ready to party too. My mother gave up and stalked away. My aunt's expression is one I will treasure for a long time to come.

We didn't do this on purpose but hopefully the older generation has learnt a thing or two about nomenclature.

...

Everybody is talking about inappropriate clothing and behaviour these days. We also need to keep our sense of humour firmly in place and remember sometimes fate has other plans -- even for the most ammama of us all!

4 comments:

MinCat said...

yes what you said about 2012 and 2013. but we shall pick ourselves up and survive them regardless...

starsinmeyes said...

I'm wearing inappropropriate clothing with a vengeance and a deep sense of satisfaction these days.

And yes, thank God 2012 has gone. It WILL be better...this is a long journey we're on.

Sunita said...

Can we have a peek at the blouse? I am curious about blouses tied with ribbons

Sue said...

MinCat -- Yes, we do seem to have the habit of doing just that.

Starry -- Good for you. :)

Sunita -- It looks like this with one more tie in the middle.