Thursday, August 30, 2012

Yummy Mummy

Durga Das is in town. Maya and Cassia were also here earlier, but unfortunately the two visits did not overlap by a great deal. It was a bit of a pity because these kids are my youngest cousins and the two younger ones I met for the first time ever -- they are both younger than their nephew, my son!

Rahul took a shine to Cassia at the one party where they met, running up and down the party hall and stairs with her. Durga Das and he also get along like a house on fire and every day he talks about his 'little mama' (size indicated by gesture) and wants to meet him. And really, what's not to love about these kids. I may be biased (such very baby cousins of mine they are) but what with Maya's sense of humour and Cassia's quiet mischief and Durga Das' effortless domination of wherever he is, being around them is great fun.

I held a little party for them last Monday morning (it was Eid). As it happened, the gathering seemed to consist of Roy girls and their offspring: the three in our generation, two from the one above us and our kids; Cousin J was the offspring in our generation!

Cassia missed the party because she wasn't quite well but Maya was there, as Durga Das' "talking seatbelt", and the moppet himself kept things lively. Neither boy ate much but they liked the four-layer cake and the ice lollies/popsicles I fortunately had in the freezer. In fact, they liked the latter so much they started bouncing up and down in their stools chanting, "Yummy, Mummy!" Crazy kids.

I have looked forward to this month for a very long time, purely for the pleasure of meeting these cousins. I was greatly disappointed that Cousin J was around for less time than I'd hoped, but I'm still glad so many of us made it. I'm really bummed I don't have a camera this month, although I must say Didi is doing a good job of recording as much as she can.

4 comments:

dipali said...

DD sounds adorable! Sounds like a wonderful time, this! Enjoy.

Sue said...

Dipali -- He is and we did. We all miss them now that they have left.

Subhashree said...

What fun! Cassia, that's a cute name.

Sue said...

Subha -- It is, and so is she. In fact, I hope I don't sound very biased here but I think the younger batch of cousins have turned out to be pretty good-looking.