Monday, July 16, 2012

Birthday Card

We had a birthday party for me on Saturday night. I got a lot of really thoughtful gifts but the one that I keep returning to is a card that Chinky spent an entire afternoon creating for me. She drew it and cut it out and wrote in it in her best cursive.

Like I told her, I have made lots of cards but the last time somebody made me a card was when I was in school, which was half a lifetime ago.

She ran around the house playing with Rahul and Ratul-who-is-no-longer-quite-a-baby and she got up to mischief and teased the boys. She also ran to get napkins to wipe up spills and cut the rest of the cake   without being asked and offered to help me organise the dinner. 

I remember when Vicky and I went to the hospital because they'd had a baby. A little bundle with wee, scrunched up eyes. A little girl in soft pink who came to greet me as a new bride at my reception and who promptly stole my husband's attention from me. A two year-old who twirled her fork into her noodles like a pro. A three-year old who recited "Johnny Johnny" with the most adorable straight face. When she was six I once spent an evening playing guessing games with her. Earlier this year I gave her my precious Barbie Fan Club magazines and memorabilia. If anybody could cherish them the way I have for the last two decades, she does.

Seeing her makes me unutterably sad. And then she looks up and I'm just glad I have her in my life, at least. I like to think if I'd had my daughter she would have been a little like her Chinky-didi.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

why does seeing her make you sad?

Deepa

Sue said...

Deepa -- Because I would have dearly loved a little girl like her.

S S said...

Hey Sue

Pardon my memory lapse in remembering the Niyogi/Roy geneaolgy but how are you related to Chinky? She sounds awesome btw. And Ratul is such a cutie patootie!
Love the way you write as always :)

Shiana Agarwal said...

very informative blog...
saadepunjab.com

Rohini said...

Maybe this will make you feel less sad... The daughter that I hoped and prayed for, on being asked to put away her toys, turned around and told me, 'That's your job" !!!!!

Sue said...

S S -- She's a lovely kid, our friends' daughter.

Ro -- Muahahaha... You should chat with my mum sometime. I was about 3 or so when I told her to "do it yourself, you're the housewife". Clearly, my Spidey takes after me.