Sunday, January 15, 2012

Enter The Kay Woman

It seems like a very long wait since Kiran announced that her debut novel was going to be published as The Reluctant Detective. I have always enjoyed her writing, so I really looked forward to the book. To the point of blindly investing in a few extra copies feeling quite sure I would want to share them with friends and family.

My copies reached me last night and I've been surreptitiously dipping into one ever since (surreptitious because I have an Italian exam tomorrow and should really be studying). It's that kind of a book, you see. Easy to read, fast in its pace and drawing you further, deeper in even as you tell yourself you really need to get back to those other things you should be doing.


Evie has posted a review already, while Itchy has not only posted a review but also an interview with the author. Like Evie, I agree with the characterisation -- the characters are quirky and egaging but above all they are convincing. And along with Itchy I attest to its pace. Thus far there have already been two murders, an Unknown in a Velvet Smoking Jacket and a two policemen going by the nicknames of Sweaty and Swarthy. Oh, and the heroine has managed to muss up her nail polish too.

The book dances between genres, so to speak. It is ostensibly the story of how Kay Mehra found herself ferreting out the truth behind mysterious murders in her neighbourhood but it is also the story of the fears and ambitions of a housewife in her mid-30s. From her fake branded footwear to her all too human reaction when faced with an unknown corpse, Kay connects to something within us, reminding us despite her exaggerations of somebody we all know and love.

This is not my review (because I haven't finished reading it at the time of posting!) but I will write a review eventually. Till then, to know what other readers are saying as well as to find out where and how you can get a copy for yourself, click on the badge (image) above or go directly to the site.

(Note to Kiran: Evie and I were at Starmark yesterday evening and we asked for the book. They hadn't received their stocks yet but some enthusiasts had already placed orders. Exciting times!)

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

wonder if it's incumbent upon other moms,like you,to publish such reviews and promote a book which may well be mediocre.
none of them will five a 'honest' review.

Shweta. said...

Yawn. Another chicklit "novel." With a shoe on the cover, to boot.

Great.

eve's lungs said...

Yawn .. such boring trolls with nothing better to do on a Sunday afternoon ....
Mallika

IBH said...

Anon! read it and then pass on your judgement..at least that would make this a comment a bit legit...

shweta - now with this comment, our Kay has already arrived :)

Evie...- i tell ya :)

Shweta. said...

@Mallika -- Stating the obvious doesn't make one a troll.

Anonymous said...

shweta - be a bit more original please..do not copy someone else's tweets and pass it on as yours..!

Sue said...

Anon 1 -- When you leave an original comment here I will reply. Please refrain from copy-pasted trolling.

Shweta -- Read it?

Evie -- :)

IBH -- Kiran arrived much earlier, hon. :)

Anon 2 -- Leave a name please, or refrain from commenting on other comments.

Anonymous said...

Am waiting for it become available o Amazon. Thanks for a preview Sue :)

DotThoughts.

Sachinky said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sachinky said...

Looks interesting!

Sue said...

Dot -- :D

Sachinky -- I'm a bit puzzled by your earlier comment but of course I wouldn't call you a troll, I hope you know that.

Sachinky said...

Ha, I forgot to sign out of my gmail account on the work computer at school. One of my colleagues reads your blog through the link on mine. She posted the comment and it appeared as mine so I deleted it.

Sorry for the confusion, Sue! : )

Hope your Italian exam went well.

Y said...

:-) exciting times indeed. Am getting my copy in a couple of days.

Sreetama said...

i am having another giveaway. see if you like it and leave a comment if you do :)
just thought i'd let you know.

Sue said...

Sachinky -- OIC. My exams went off as well as could be expected, thanks,

Y -- Now I will wait for yours. :)

Sreetama -- Of course I like it, you know I like your style. Duly commented.

PWT Sports Racing News said...

interesting post

PWT Health Tips said...

Great post