Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Shelai

Vicky bought his Macbook Pro in April. We went hunting for a bag for it but couldn't find anything to suit our budget as well as our tastes. I rashly promised to make him one instead. I even found some material that matched the fabric he had once said he would have liked for the bag.

That was in April.

This weekend, after yet another visit to a store where I guiltily sneaked past the laptop bag display, I decided to just go ahead and make that bag already. I present to you the fruit of my labours.


It's made of a loose weave multicoloured curtain fabric from Fabindia, lined with navy blue polyester and quilted using synthetic batting. The Apple-ique (heh) is cut from white felt. If you open it, you can see the quilting:



The strap is marginally shorter than I'd have liked but the bag is sturdy and machine washable and should last. I had a cute, ready-to-sew applique of a pair of macaws but the man insisted on this silly half-eaten apple instead. No accounting for tastes.

I made Shuktara wait a year for her dress so I think I'm improving, don't you?

22 comments:

B o o. said...

wow! love it! and I showed it to the husband and guess what he said, "She should sell this stuff!" Should I say "Men!" or "Great Men..."? :D

Sands said...

totally awesome Sue :)

Jay said...

Nice bag! :-D

Banno said...

You should really sell these. The dress was also beautiful.

R's Mom said...

*Gasp* YOU made that! awesome babes!

Sue said...

Boo -- Husbands! ;)

Sands, Jay, R's Mom -- Thanks, y'all

Banno -- The problem with selling is having to ensure every piece is perfect. It feels like a huge responsibility.

Parul said...

It's gorgeous. Err, I also have a Macbook, you know....

shub said...

What Parul said.

Also, someone should make you a badge that read 'iGenius'.

Gayatri said...

- Neat!:)

Just Like That said...

Its really really cool!!

Sreetama said...

you shud start ur own laptop bag company.
ki bhalo hoyechhey!!

Subhashree said...

SusieQ, you are one awesome woman! Love it.

~nm said...

Can you tell me something which you can't do? You make me feel so useless :(

Sue said...

Parul -- So you do :)

Shub -- Funnily, that's what I was trying to teach Rahul to say the other day, that I'm a genius. But the little dude kept saying that he was the genius.

Gayatri, JLT -- Thanks :)

Sreetama -- Too much trouble, I've decided, not to mention time.

Subha -- Aw, you make my day.

~nm -- I've been sewing since I was six. By that standard I'm not that good at it, you know.

Banno said...

Well then, your friends and family are lucky to have you make them perfect gifts. :)

Sue said...

Banno -- Thank you, that made my day. :)

Anonymous said...

perfect gift! Lucky Vicky :)

June said...

A mac jhola! Very smart!

Sue said...

Anon -- Thank you :)

June -- Thank you for naming it!

DegeSMS said...

Very sweet bags.

Tyger Burning said...

I use cloth covered folders from manjusha at dakshinapan for my macbook. If its 13" it would fit the pro as well. but the jhola looks ossum, and I want one as well.

Sue said...

Dege -- Thank you!

Tyger -- Make one, it's quite easy with a sewing machine.