Saturday, August 06, 2011

Safwat Ghayur

It's been a year since Aneela had to write this post.

.............................

This is where I say something that none of you will admire: the only (legal) profession I have actually hoped my child will never enter is the armed forces.

I grew up in a naval town (Vizag is the headquarters of the Eastern Command) and Vicky and I have close friends who are in the army and airforce respectively. I read every account of a crashing aircraft with fear. A MIG went down the other day, the pilot killed, at Naal. I've been to Naal, you know. My memories of the place are happy ones, of playing cards for love with cheerful officers, admiring the aircraft, watching Akhilesh fly one.

I've been told that one can die doing anything and so one can. But one should not die let down by the nation when one is a defender of that very nation. Our armed forces are so poorly equipped. When I went for a SCUBA course at the naval pool as a teenager, the naval officers teaching us pointed that every piece of equipment we used was imported and expensive and not easily replaced. The only local equipment were the fins -- which were uncomfortable and broke easily.

I don't make our armed forces out to be saints. I am just grateful they do the job I don't do.

7 comments:

MRC said...

Sue,

I understand when you say,
"the only (legal) profession I have actually hoped my child will never enter is the armed forces."

but despite all that is reported and feared for by those who don't live this life, it IS a good life,worth living, and it does not always end in disaster. Look at your friends, do they look unhappy?

Aneela Z said...

yara sue woh police may tha!
but thanks for the tribute just the same...

Aneela Z said...

new post up sue for all the other questions you had.

http://golkamra.blogspot.com/2011/08/rote-hue-aate-hain-sab-hasta-hua-jo.html

and funny that you mention it I had similar self doubts post what happened in Abbotabad (re: my dreams for The Toddler) but it is Safi who just guides me again.

http://golkamra.blogspot.com/2011/05/jaan-bahut-sharminda-hai.html

R's Mom said...

and trust me Sue even I had that thought cross my mind of not wanting R to join the armed forces...Am I getting too negative :(

Sue said...

MRC -- It's a good life and god knows it has its perks. But it's not what I would choose for Rahul. Although honestly speaking I cannot imagine myself trying to stop him if this is what he chooses!

Aneela -- I know. :) The police is something I hadn't even considered, would you believe it? There's not much pride in being a mamu in these parts...

R's Mom -- I suppose we are both being scaredy cats!

Mamma mia! Me a mamma? said...

I wrote a poem about this exact same thing once...

Know exactly what you mean.

Sue said...

M4 -- Got a link?