Friday, April 29, 2011

Woman of the '40s, '50s

Indian women of the 1940s and '50s had a certain something to them. They wore their sarees so effortlessly, it didn't matter if the material slipped a bit. Their blouses were every bit as innovative and intriguing as any design we wear today. They wore their sex appeal with pride too.

I've always had a weakness for the women of that decade after seeing a photograph of my grandmother and a great aunt from that era. I decided, as a young girl, that when I grew up, I wanted to look like them. Looks like I've a long way to go though. Maybe I ought to start wearing more makeup and occasionally moisturise. That would be a step in the right direction. ;)

Thanks, Vinayak, for the great links.

3 comments:

anna's mom said...

same here. i love my grandma's old pics. specially the ones in which she has a big bun. and i've never seen her wearing blouses with sleeves - always sleeveless. she always looks so stylish and put-together in a way i can never manage. even today she always looks very tip-top. everyday after her afternoon nap she washes her face, applies come cream, combs her hair and puts on a fresh sari. somehow these traditions never passed on to us :(

Sue said...

Anna's Mom -- My grandmother and great aunts too, at least the Cal ones. Always in sleeveless. My other grandmother and mother always look fresh and clean before the evening starts. I wonder why we are such slobs. :)

asanandan said...

Nice post . I am going to ask my grandma about 40's and 50's girls.

from
asanandan
rupees4gigs
http://www.rupees4gigs.com