Friday, March 04, 2011

Reusable Paper Towels

A couple of years ago, when Cee and I were getting to know each other, we were on a Google group and emailed daily. In one such conversation she mentioned that she cleaned her fans with reusable paper towels and I got all righteously shocked because why did she not just reuse newspaper for that? Why waste clean paper? She defended herself as best she could and since I obviously wasn't getting it, we let the matter drop.

A year or so later reusable paper towels finally entered my life and I finally got it. It's not the same as wiping your fans clean with rolls of tissue paper. In fact, it is probably more environment-friendly than using great big wads of newsprint too. It sounds rather silly when I write it down, but I wrote to Cee then, laughing and apologising for my earlier righteousness and she laughed it off herself.

It's been a while since all that and I think one thing that has happened since then is that we have both mellowed. I don't think either of us were precisely intolerant before but I know I am more willing to concede that there may be more to an issue than meets the eye -- my eye -- that people may really have reasons for their inexplicable behaviour, reasons that I would understand and accept if I knew them. Sometimes though I still catch myself being intolerant. Then I think of Cee and her reusable paper towels and pull myself up.

Going off on a green tangent, Ujaan has provoked an open house discussion on the pros and cons of holding such a large festival out on the very fringes of the Sundarbans. If you are planning to attend the festival or are interested in the issue, please do drop by. Details available at the FB page.

2 comments:

GettingThereNow (Cee Kay) said...

Isn't this a very timely post on intolerance Sue?! I know we already spoke about this but how true is this - "there may be more to an issue than meets the eye -- my eye -- that people may really have reasons for their inexplicable behaviour, reasons that I would understand and accept if I knew them."

Sigh!

Sue said...

Cee -- *hugs*