Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Red Marker Blogathon Update 8


Sorry for the delay. The boys came home on Sunday night and life has been rather full ever since. Let us start off with a question from Asha:

Here's a question for the blogathon - which one is right?
1. She delivered a baby.
2. She was delivered of a baby.

99% of the world seems to be going with the first one and I read somewhere that the second one is the correct usage. Any idea?

Who wants to answer that one?

Chinkurli contributes video footage of some Grammar Nazis.

Saya quietly makes her point.

Suki Ma'am-ma'am wields her red marker.

Richa explains the difference between 'ki' and 'kee' for written Hindi. As an aside, I'd like to say that I'm very happy she's talking about a language other than English. As an Indian living in India I feel quite as many people (if not more) mangle Hindi as do English. I plead guilty to it myself!

Zephyr speaks Indish.

And lastly, Itchy scratches her head over titles and introductions.

I think that's it. Anybody I forgot?

UPDATE:

1. How could I forget? Dipali posted on the endearing aspect of accidental hilarity.

2. Ajay compiles an arbit list of common cases of language gone wild.

7 comments:

Richa said...

Thanks Sue for the kind words! To be honest, I am only qualified to talk about Hindi. Any other language is a second language for me and I don't think I will ever be qualified to point out mistakes in that.

ajay said...

You forgot mine :-)

Sue said...

Richa -- So long as you have even one language you are that confident about, I think you're doing pretty well. :)

Ajay -- So I did! Apologies. Updated now.

GettingThereNow said...

I have read the second usage in a few places and I know it is correct but I often use the first one.

Here is another post from me:
http://my2centstoo.blogspot.com/2010/06/pliss-to-not-to-spik-to-me-like-this.html

eve's lungs said...

"She was delivered of a baby" - she delivered makes it rather like a postman delivering a parcel .

Sue said...

Cee -- Thanks!

Evie -- So it was the stork that made the delivery, was it?

Thinking Cramps said...

On the baby question, I think both are correct. Just checked the Oxford Dictionary, and while "delivered a baby" means "gave birth to", "delivered of a baby" is the passive form that means the same.