Friday, June 04, 2010

Red Marker Blogathon Update 2


Shilpa grumbles about "Your" getting on her nerves and offers a neat explanation of how to deal with confusing apostrophes.

Cee Kay gives a handy tip on differentiating between 'I' and 'me'.

PNA offers us a cautionary tale of superlative salutations.

G blogs about the 'phunny' ways of people who seem to type an english* all their own.

Shivani has sent in some interesting links on grammar usage:
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/misspelling (funny comic)
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/apostrophe (funny comic)
http://wokay.in/2008/10/03/double-o-offsets (funny post)
(Shivani, I did find an apostrophe rule I'm not sure I agree with but I'm in the middle of cooking dinner -- don't ask -- so I'll get back to it later.)

That's it for tonight. Thanks, folks, I love how you're all being such enthu cutlets about this. Such fun.

For those of you who are new on the scene, you can read the blogathon rule here.

Note:
*I spell english here with a small 'e' because I refer to the theory of English and englishes. Those of you who don't know what that is, it's basically the idea of English as spoken in England being the mother language, as it were, of the 'baby englishes' that now exist in so many other countries. Think of how distinctive Indian english is, as opposed to, say, that spoken by the man on the street in Singapore or South Africa.

11 comments:

shilpa said...

Thanks for posting the compendium everyday. Love this idea of a marathon.....I am learning quite a lot!

mim said...

hey!
hey!
i like grammatical violations. hmpf.

"i cannot able to understand the reason for this blogathon."

and i will write it 10 times as imposition

"i cannot able to understand the reason for this blogathon."
"i cannot able to understand the reason for this blogathon."
"i cannot able to understand the reason for this blogathon."
"i cannot able to understand the reason for this blogathon."
"i cannot able to understand the reason for this blogathon."
"i cannot able to understand the reason for this blogathon."
"i cannot able to understand the reason for this blogathon."

sraikh said...

Oh God dont start about the english on the streets of English.

Can I put a small one in this comment. The one that gets my goat is "It's paining" I have heard that a lot irl and seen written. :)

Rohini said...

Hey. Just to let you know that the link to Cee's post is not working

GettingThereNow said...

I have been laughing at the comments all the posts are getting. This is going to be a fun month :)

Hey, could you please remove the "here: " at the beginning of the link to my post? The link should work after you remove it.

Sue said...

Shilpa -- I'm posting the links as I get them. I expect I won't have enough responses for daily posts, but these two days have seen lots. :)

MiM -- Copy-paste does not cut it. Get back to your slate and write it out a hundred times now. Move along, chop chop.

And while you're writing, do a post on how you cannot understand why anybody would have this blogathon. :)

Sraikh -- Oops. Guilty of that one. Will try harder to be more careful. :D

Ro -- Shoot, thanks.

Cee -- I know! People are really sending in the drollest responses. The link works now, sorry.

Ughsome said...

hi- this is a great idea!
i had to 'like' it on jasmeen's status right away.
here are a few of mine :) http://ughsome.wordpress.com/2010/06/04/all-your-base-are-belong-to-us/

Ughsome said...

i remembered another one- 'Would'- used in place of 'will' or 'should'!
e.g. "I would go tomorrow" instead of "I will go tomorrow"!

Gayatri said...

- I would have to submit my entire blog in here :D..rename my blog "The Red Marker Blog"
- Anyways what to do I am like this only ;b

mim said...

to teacher sue:
as ordered.

http://maidinmalaysia.wordpress.com/2010/06/05/say-shoo-to-the-sue/

Sue said...

ughsome -- Thanks. The 'would' thing is particularly prevalent amoung 'gorment types' for some reason...

Gayatri -- How so? You rant on language? I must have missed those posts. Send the links, na.

MiM -- Good girl. Remind me to give you a gold star or some such. Some day.