Saturday, February 13, 2010

Hostage-taking

Kids are really good at it. For starters, they keep their demands deceptively simple and seemingly affordable. For another, they are pros when it comes to bravely holding back those tears brimming in wee eyes... and if you think you can just look away and make a run for it, they cling on to whatever body part they can reach.

But let me not describe it backwards: it all starts at the door.

I worked late on Wednesday, getting home at midnight. So I left late for work on Thursday. Rahul came home, saw me on the premises, rolled around on the floor for joy (what is it with the rolling anyway?) and asked me every five minutes for the next two hours if I were going to stay with him all day. The only times he stopped asking me this were when I asked to be cuddled. Bah.

We had lunch together and he saw me get ready for office. Came up to me with this grim look on his face and told me, "Mone-y hoye tumi office jaccho na."

Taking his tone into account, that would roughly translate into, 'I don't think you're going to office, young lady.'

As I scooted round the house in my usual mad last minute round-up of handbag, wallet, keys etc. I saw he had prepared the siege. He was sitting calmly in front of the front door, all set to block both the shoe cabinet and the opening of the door. To make matters worse, he had even packed a little boxful of toys to entertain him for as long as it took.

When coaxing didn't work he was bodily picked off the floor.

Then came the wails.

In all this I hastily made my escape.

That was Thursday. On Friday morning I decided to do my half-day in the second half, so when Rahul came home, he saw me lazing around yet again.

The previous day's scene repeated itself, from the determined siege of the front door (with supplies!) to the repeated questioning to the final defiant order not to go. And I ran down the stairs and turned back to the windows for a final goodbye, hoping against hope he'd wave and be all right. Only to see a very little boy bravely blinking back tears, trying to summon a smile that wouldn't hold.

Just three years old. Asking his Babu to stay at home with him.

And I stood there on the road feeling my eyes fill up.

Who needs a career anyway.

10 comments:

Lakshmi said...

Awww! this really tugged at my heart.. my first time here, had to delurk though... hope you did get to spend time with him over the weekend.

brundha said...

Really touching. That's how life is *sigh*. Sometimes families who aren't very nuclear live in the same home but in their own rooms to avoid facing each other and for an adorable family like urs you are forced to leave your little one and go for work. But in a way this little separation for few hours a day might actually make ur bonding tighter.

dipali said...

But what happens once you've actually left? After all the dramatics mine would get back to happily doing whatever he was doing before my imminent departure impinged upon his consciousness.
But these tiny creatures can break our hearts:(

starry eyed said...

Awwww...hugs babe...they're really good at this, huh?

Rohini said...

Sigh. I can see there are fun times ahead of me. Two can corm a much more effective blockade than one :(

Sue said...

Lakshmi -- Hey, thanks for delurking. I'm spending lots of time with him over the weekend, yes. More than he wants, seemingly. :)

Brundha -- Yeah, once I got past the senti I remembered that if I didn't have a career I'd be getting in his hair all day and he in mine, so this is probably better!

Dipali -- Normally he doesn't fight it and there is no fuss. These two days he did fuss even after I'd left. Perhaps it was because of the Wednesday that he didn't see me all day after I dropped me off to school in the morning. Maybe it was his incepient cold making him clingy. Who knows. This bout was hard because mostly nowadays he clings to Vicky so I'd long stopped feeling guilty about working!

Starry -- Yes! :(

Ro -- On the other hand, when there are two, they seem less interested in blockades. At least, we were less interested in parents when we had siblings/cousins handy. So perhaps as Spidey grows up, she'll actually simplify matters for you?

kaichu said...

oh sunny, you break my heart. :( i won't bother with platitudes, but he's gonna be finefinefine.

Gayatri said...

- *Sigh*
- I often wonder why kids miss the moms soooo much while the dads jus remain the official office goers
- even with a grandparent at home!
- the invisible umbilical cord I guess :)

SUR NOTES said...

ofcourse you pulled my hearstrings with this post.

but somehow i cant stop being impressed with the farsighted planning of this gorgeous child :
"... he had even packed a little boxful of toys to entertain him for as long as it took."

And this : 'I don't think you're going to office, young lady.'

I pledge today that i am now his fan forever!

Sue said...

Kaichu -- Well, I haven't got it all figured out just yet, but eventually I guess he'll be quite all right.

Gayatri -- I don't think Rahul misses me particularly, much as I hate to admit it. Vicky has been getting the same treatment when he's headed out to the shops too. And when he has my mother with him, he doesn't care where Vicky or I go!

But yeah, most kids don't believe in giving their mums too much freedom. Must be written in their manual. :)

Sur -- Yeah, he's very good at planning and negotiating. Thus far I manage to trump him purely by the weight of experience. Am not looking forward to the planning or negotiating when he's older and knows more!

On the other hand, I believe he gets these traits from me, so it's a toss-up between being proud and being nervous!