Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Career vs Parenting

I've been trying to come up with a career plan for Vicky and myself that allows me to work from home once more (which is more a lifestyle plan really, of necessity) and without making any huge headways, I've managed to narrow down some goals for the next two years.

I found this Babble article on working mothers very timely. Not because I earn more than Vicky but because he outearns me by far, several times over, and I'm not happy with the way my home is being run by him. We're both stressed and compromising and I'd like to put a goal to this compromising instead of an abstract career graph advance. He's doing the best he can, which is better than any other father I've observed in the same role, so it's up to me to make the next change or at least plan it.

4 comments:

dipali said...

The article makes huge sense. Less stress all round can only be good.

GettingThereNow said...

Makes sense!

Okay, so what are the goals?

GettingThereNow said...

Have you read this?

http://www.babble.com/How-an-equal-division-of-labor-almost-destroyed-my-marriage-resentment-Hanna-Otero/index2.aspx

Sue said...

Dipali -- Yes, I found it very sensible. And yet, I don't necessarily get any specific answers from it.

Cee -- Yes, I read that article, actually. Hard-hitting truths.

My immediate, primary goal is to have what I consider a safe amount in the bank so I can stop worrying about money every damn day. But of course, given our lifestyle, no sooner will I have it than I will keep dipping into it...