Friday, May 15, 2009

Of Numbers and Books

Kiran tagged me twice of late. Once for the number tag.

ONE love.

TWO of us. Side by side.

THREE’s company too.

FOUR in the afternoon, I need my tea. And snacks.

FIVE fingers. I’ve counted them a lot since 25th September, 2006. Ek, dui, teen, chaar, paanch! My reward? A Bheblu-babu who counts, “ek, teen” and considers all numbers counted. I’m guessing he’s not winning any Nobel Prizes for the sciences

SIX senses. Very important to me, especially during sex.

SEVEN Deadly Sins. Sung by the Traveling Wilburys.

EIGHT years I lived in the South. Some part of me will be firmly Gult/Tam till the day I die.

NINE years I’ve been in Calcutta now at a stretch.

TEN-nis, anyone? Yes, I’m a Wodehouse fan.

---

And then she tagged me again for the literature tag.

1) What author do you own the most books by?
Elinor M Brent-Dyer, I suppose. I have all but a few of the Chalet School novels.

2) What book do you own the most copies of?
Right now probably Rainbow Valley by L M Montgomery! My first copy was ruined by termites and I forgot I’d replaced it!

3) Did it bother you that both those questions ended with prepositions?
A little, yes. :)

4) What fictional character are you secretly in love with?
Sven. Nothing secret about it.

5) What book have you read the most times in your life?
Don’t know. Perhaps the Narnias or The Little Princess or the Anne books.

6) What was your favorite book when you were ten years old?
Ooh, the Narnia collection. For afternoons in bed with bhujia!

7) What is the worst book you’ve read in the past year?
I’ve read surprisingly few bad books, possibly because I’ve been re-reading old favourites and reading either recommendations from readers I trust or books like M’n’Bs whose poor literary qualifications only enhance the enjoyment.

8) What is the best book you’ve read in the past year?
Off-hand, I loved Devdutt Patnaik’s The Pregnant King, but given I read close to twenty odd books every month, there must have been many others I liked as much.

9) If you could force everyone to read one book, what would it be?
Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus. I’m reading it now and I find it very interesting. Not necessarily because I agree with every point but because the book is making me re-evaluate all my relationships, including with my Bhablet of a son.

10) Who deserves to win the next Nobel Prize for literature?
Vikram Seth. The man makes more points with fewer words than most writers I’ve read. Yes, I've read A Suitable Boy.

11) What book would you most like to see made into a movie?
From Hell, properly done. With Johnny Depp again, please.

12) What book would you least like to see made into a movie?
Calvin and Hobbes, any of the books.

13) Describe your weirdest dream involving a writer, book, or literary character.
The one where I broke up with Beq, went to Liverpool, met Paulie and took a photo with him and sent it to Beq with a “Hah!” Actually, this dream would count as the funniest.

14) What is the most lowbrow book you’ve read as an adult?
Oh, come on. I love reading low-brow for cheap thrills. You don’t expect me to actually rate them now?

15) What is the most difficult book you’ve ever read?
Some of my textbooks. I shall not raise my professors’ eyebrows by naming names. But I would like to remind them that I did in fact finish all the texts I claimed to have read. Except for Volpone, of course, but there I had Shuki for company.

16) Shakespeare, Milton, or Chaucer?
Shakespeare. He’s a dude, man.

17) Austen or Eliot?
Austen

18) What is the biggest or most embarrassing gap in your reading?
The huge, empty space where Bengali literature should be. Or other regional literature.

19) What is your favorite novel?
I genuinely don’t know. I can’t pick one and hurt the others.

20) Play?
Macbeth but only because of Sukantada. Otherwise I loved The Proof.

21) Short story?
A Temporary Matter by Jhumpa Lahiri.

22) Work of non-fiction?
In Cold Blood by Truman Capote

23) Who is your favorite writer?
Anybody who can make me forget my surroundings and make me laugh.

Anyway, so for the number tag, I tag Evie and Mona.

And for the literature tag, I tag my friend the writer, Parul. (Pliss to overlook the little self-conscious cough of pride.)

P.S.
A lot of the links here are messed up. I had trouble with Blogger when I wrote the post and I had to redo it in a hurry. Will fix them all later, esp the music links. Sorry!

7 comments:

OilPastel said...

Macbeth :)
Si.

Mama - Mia said...

i love the number tag the way you have done it! :)

as for book tag. i dont know no poets and lit giants! tho i do LOVE A Suitable Boy a LOT! :)

and From hell, remade? will that make the story any better? that movie gives me goosebumps of bad kind! havent read the book!

and you CnH fan too! :D

cheers!

abha

eve's lungs said...

Im gonna do both anyway so there . "crosses her eyes and sticks out her tongue"

eve's lungs said...

And why is everything frenchfied here ?

Opaline said...

Sue!! Chalet School!! All but a few!! I'm coming over.

vidha said...

Chalet School and the Anna books! Takes me back at least 10 years. The only place you get them now is E-Bay I think. I've looked everywhere in Delhi.

Sue said...

OilPastel -- The one and only.

Abha -- Dude, the book blows your mind. Like, it Blows Your Mind. Try it. The movie's not a patch on it.

Evie -- *shrieks with horror at the sight Evie presents*

Evie -- Because I'm enjoying it, yeah.

Opaline -- :) Warn me before you do. They are at my baperbari still, I think.

Vidha -- Really? Chalet School had major reprinting done in the '90s. The Anne books are available everywhere, I see them all the time.