Friday, February 13, 2009

I feel it in my fingers, I feel it in my tooooooes...

What with all the pinkness in the air and the constant ‘Valentine’s Day’ SMSes sent to me by Vodafone everyday, I’ve been in a valentine mood for a while now.

My first valentine was a card from a cousin who lived abroad. She sent all of us cards, including our great-grandmother, and I had those little cards for the longest time. Pretty little Disney expressions of affection.

A decade later, on 14th Feb, I was telling the love-of-my-life-that-was about a gift a friend of mine was getting. He had a bunch of pale pink roses which he explained was a gift for his mother, and he offered me one. It remains one of my sweetest memories, innocent and fulfilling. The next year, when we were an official couple, he was away from home on work, but he sent me cards, two of them because he couldn’t decide on one. I had a hard time explaining them to my parents but was quite chuffed over it all.

And that’s it. The men I dated thereafter didn’t believe in stuff like that. Heck, the first boyfriend himself dissed the day to his wife last year and I bet he’s totally forgotten the stuff he’d done once.

I don’t think I’m at the roses and candy stage myself any longer although roses and candy are both always very welcome, of course. Nor am I waiting for Vicky to serenade me or sweep me off my feet. I think what I really, really want is lots of bhujiya and a big stack of Mills and Boons. The ultimate in romance.

Come now, ‘fess up, what’s your idea of the perfect romantic hour?

15 comments:

Rohini said...

"lots of bhujiya and a big stack of Mills and Boons"

Mmmmm... sounds heaven...

Mamma mia! Me a mamma? said...

A spa date, bed and...lots of books, a couple of rom-com movies and loads of hot buttered books. Am I missing anything? Oh yes, the significant other beside me ;)

Sigh! Eight years is a loooong time!

D said...

I did a whole post on it Sue. And I think The Guy is where you are - beyond the roses and candy stage - while I'm still stuck there.

Aathira said...

What about take away, wine and a nice movie?

dipali said...

Such a sweet post, Sue!
Walking in the rain, together, under one not too big umbrella:)

E said...

"Romantic" ?? what's that!?? Sheesh...

Sparx said...

Backrub and a nap! You can tell I'm a Mum, hey?

Saya said...

Doing the most mundane things and feeling special

Mama - Mia said...

i want spa! :) both of us! should start saving up, so that can do it next year! :D

this year i got meself a tattoo with hubby proudly looking at me thinking i have married a brave n cool chick! :D

bliss! drat the pain later! ;)

cheers!

abha

Casuarina said...

Lazing in bed, small talk, just listening to each other breathing.

Sue said...

Ro -- I'm dreaming of alu bhujiya now. *sigh*

M4 -- What does the significant other do while you enjoy the hot, buttered books? Read beside you? I like that, too.

D -- :) If you want roses and candy, get him roses and candy, ses I. Worked for Cee!

Aathira -- Sounds good to me.

Dipali -- Aww, you guys are so cute!

E -- :P

Sparx -- LOL! Yeah, I want snacks and a book, you want a backrub and a nap... our sons have much to answer for!

Saya -- But why do you feel special, what is the thing that makes it special?

Abha -- Awesome! I want to see photos!

Casuarina -- Man, we're a generation of lazy slobs...

Mama - Mia said...

It's up on my blog!! :D

Saya said...

Being in love...
It makes the mornings nicer.. the evenings more bearable..
Makes every small thing more enjoyable.. tat was what i meant to say..

Sue said...

Abha -- And I love it! :)

Saya -- True, true. :)

Casuarina said...

Aren't we? (Huge sighhhhhhhhhhh).