Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Minding His Ps and Qs

… is a task difficult for Bhablets. If only because there is too much to see, do and explore to waste time over little things like manners and etiquette.

But the child does learn. One fine day he wanted a book from me and I said no, sternly, only to nearly drop the damn thing when he looked up at me beseechingly and said, “Babu, biota, peesh?” (Mum, the book, peesh?)

He refuses to say thanku except very, very rarely, but he nods his appreciation in a quick bob of his head or a shy grin that vanishes almost before we catch it.

And I’m thinking, we’ll make a man of him yet.

7 comments:

Monika,Ansh said...

You sure will.

Ansh is also very shy abt saying "Thank you" & "Please" & has to be reminded of & on.

Mama - Mia said...

you know, you keep giving me hope!

Cubby is in a stage where he keeps saying Thankoo to himself!! :p everytime he does something small he has been asked he says thankoo oobi! :p

give him a hug peesh! :)

cheers!

abha

Itchingtowrite said...

he calls u babu!! so cute

Mamma mia! Me a mamma? said...

Aww! Leave him be Sue! Let us love the little tot as he is for a little while longer, ppppeeeesssshhhh!!

dipali said...

Such a doll is the Bhabs!

karmickids said...

Shush,
he'll make a mom of you yet!

Sue said...

Monika -- Aww...

Abha -- Oh, that's so cute!

Riti -- :) See the previous post and you'll know why.

M4 -- Oh this is probably the only thing I've taught him by practising it myself rather than asking him to learn it. I never really bothered to teach him as such, except to suggest now and then that if he said please he might get his own way sooner. But I do say Please and Thank you myself. :)

Dipali -- No? Every now and then he completely knocks me off my feet.

Kiran -- :) You're probably right.