Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Snobbish Sue!

I've begun to carry the iPod to work, to listen to music during my commute. I try not to flash it around, Cal still being a place where public transport is fairly democratic (i.e. you get all kinds of people.)

So yesterday I walked into the Metro, took up a position near the door and listened on. The guy in front of me looked fairly paati (not sure how to translate that, though perhaps DM comes close) in an affluent sort of way. Typical Big Bazar clothes- too much gel in hair- ugly shoes kind with earphones stuck in his ear. He checked me out and looked away and I ignored him. I wanted to switch albums so I discreetly opened my handbag and changed. Tried not to make a big deal out of it. A few minutes later he pulled out his iTouch, changed his tracks and carried on listening.

So much for my three year-old iPod... We both ignored each other and I couldn’t help but laugh at myself. So, if you were on the train with me and you saw me giggling into the BIG FM ad, now you know why.

15 comments:

Monika,Ansh said...

lol.

Ritu said...

OOOOPS, touche

http://www.phoenixritu.com/

hack said...

I wear Big Bazar clothes all the time. AND clothes picked up from street too.

Mamma mia! Me a mamma? said...

Hahaha!

Mama - Mia said...

well ok! i am so middle class that i dont know the difference! :p

but i dont buy clothes from BB!! ;)

cheers!

abha

vicky said...

Oh don't worry, there are lots of fakes out in the market. Chinese too, I hear.

chandni said...

lol!!!!

At least u have one that's 3 yrs old...i don't even have one :D

Casuarina said...

Reminds me of the 'How Many You Have ?' Fast Track ad. Only, move over to 'What's The Latest Version You Got?!'.....:-)

Subhashree said...

I don't have one. But I do have a regular mp3 player. And I put it on while walking back home. Yes, I am bragging, I walk for 30 minutes and get to enjoy it too. Yay!

Noodlehead said...

lol, i wanted to get one but never got down to it. now that i'm not working anymore i feel really guilty to get one!!

thanks a bunch for the feeding tips u left me. i've moved around her lunch time a bit...i bumped up the evening snack to lunch and moved lunch to the around 3ish. she doesn't give me any grief for half her food, the second half is still a challenge. but i'm not complaining!! thanks SO much :)

Annie said...

Hahaha....don't worry all of us go thru this at some point in our lives, we just don't have the guts to tell it out loud! I wouldve loved to see the expressions though!

dipali said...

Ah- the deceptive nature of appearances!

eve's lungs said...

In short .. never judge a book by its cover .. esp the paati Bong types with Big Bazar clothes .

Also I am reminded of the ad "Tere paas kya hai " ?....

Sue said...

Monika, Ritu, M4 -- :)

Hack -- I wear rejects and street stuff. Big Bazar is really not my thing. :) Anyway, no offence intended to you and if you dare take any I shall bop you on the head.

Abha -- The difference between the iTouch and the iPod? Well, mine is three yrs old and his was new. Major difference there already. It's the iPhone-like version of the iPod. Google and see. Very nice.

Vicky -- There are??? Let's get us one. Then I can flash it around.

Chandni -- Wedding gift. Along with the iMac G5. :)

Casuarina -- Something like that, yes.

Subha -- Man, my exercise these days is the short walks either way from the station to work/home. Really short, but if I'm running late, I really get moving. ;)

Noodlehead -- Hubris over here. Now my son's not eating! I have officially given up. I grew up fine on junk and air and he's welcome to do the same.

Annie -- :)

Dipali -- LOL, yeah!

Evie -- Well. Er, yes. I think. :)

Lekhni said...

If you want, you can still feel sorry for him - tell yourself he spent all his pay on his iTouch and that's why he has so little left over for clothes and shoes ;)