Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Pujo State of Mind

It's Panchami night and I'm at work for another hour yet. My rehearsal has been canceled but the streets are such a mess, the cars will only leave once and for all at 9.30.

...

Then it was Shashti and the three of us went to drop off Rahul's old stuff at Shishu Bhavan. Then lunch at Jodhpur Park. Vicky mother made a great prawn something with fried rice and some pomfret grill.

In the evening we dropped in on Mr. and Mrs. Niladri. Met Anindya and Nota there. I wasn't in the right mood for an evening of bawdy stories and drinking but somehow, one is always comfortable around folks like these. For one thing, they are all excellent story-tellers. For another, their stories are so funny! What with laughing my head off at Nota's tales and Anindya's imitations and eating enough Chinese takeout to fill me up for hours, I had a nice enough time.

...

Saptami morning was spent in tidying up the flat because I did not intend to do that any more after this one time. I also cooked a chicken curry-rice for emergencies.

After our afternoon naps we went to the fair at Deshapriya Park. All three of us enjoy fairs -- Vicky and I bonded big-time years ago over buying fairings and going on silly rides -- and Rahul had a Ferris Wheel ride for the first time in his young life. He hung on tight to his Baba and grinned. I think we can safely say that he enjoyed himself. And he wasn't sick afterwards. We also went to watch the amazing Suzuki Circus, where two cars and three bikes went around climbing the sides of a giant drum, and ate candy floss and a chaat. Rahul had two rides on the little roundabout that had cars instead of horses.

Afterwards we dropped in on DrD and his missus. Spent a pleasant evening with them. The boys, I mean, the men, drank and the women chatted and The Bhablet ran around and ate milk'n'rice. Home at a decent hour and in bed before midnight.

...

I woke early and washed my hair for the Ashtami anjali at Evie's puja. After Vicky and I were done fighting he and Rahul managed to make it in time for the anjali too. Which may have been a less than brilliant idea considering that the child spent the four rounds of prayers pulling the hair and clothes of the aunties in front (who were not amused) and then pulled my hair into a curtain to play Tookie (peekaboo) with the folks behind us. Then again, as I reflected, the goddess is a mother herself and I think she knows what it's like.

We went to meet Nunu, Nunulet and Ghocha right afterwards. My precious little boy is nearly seven now and doesn't know any Sunnys. Oh well. He's every bit as precious as he was four years ago, when we first met, and that's good enough for me. His cousin is getting to be quite a cutie in his own right and perhaps one shouldn't call him the Nunulet much longer. Tempting though it is. Ghocha's mum invited us to the Suren Tagore Road bhog and that's where we had lunch -- delicious! Ghocha and Rahul of course turned their noses up at most of it.

In the evening we went to Salt Lake to meet Barry and his family. Then we went out for a couple of hours, the six of us. Chinky's quite the young lady now. We went around a few pandals, ate some phuchka and eventually ended up having dinner at a little known Chinese joint hidden behind Sector V. A decent dinner, although I only had soup since my cold had flared up by then. Met Sulagna's elder sister and family.

Came home with a fever and poor V went out to find a chemist open past midnight for some Crocin. There wasn't any but he did find Sona who got him some from his home.

...

It's Navami now. We went for the bhog at Jodhpur Park now and I cannot say I think too much of the arrangements. The food was all right. It's nice having organisers as in-laws, I must say. One walks in wherever and gets special treatment all around.

Now it's evening and we're going to get dressed up and go to Dana's for anjali. Enjoy your evening, everybody. Our 'net connection is iffy so I've not been around all week until now. I'll post more later, and till then, you can see the photos here.

3 comments:

Rohini said...

Busy, fun times! The link doesn't work btw...

Sue said...

Ro -- Ah, sorry. Turns out to be a private one. Will just upload the pics a little later. After the birthday pics are up. *blush*

vicky said...

This is the public link, hope that works:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=168695&l=78cdc&id=545760600