Wednesday, October 22, 2008

It's Raining Jobs (Sort Of)

So I tried out the school for a week and although I enjoyed working with the kids and the other teachers were extremely welcoming and headmistress would have been a pleasure to work under (where on earth will I get a combo like that again, I wonder) I regretfully decided that teaching nursery school is not really my thing. I''m running after a little one at home anyway, I need a change when I'm out.

At around the same time as the school was making me a very attractive offer -- money vs. time being decently combined -- I also got into talks with Ashokda, who has been looking for copywriters for his ad agency. I'd vaguely considered the idea and then dropped it because of the time involved. But once I actually spoke to him, he turned out to be willing to provide some flexi time and the salary isn't bad either, so... you know where this is going, right?

After nearly two and a half years I am going back to work full-time. I'm so nervous I'm almost hoping things don't work out! I suppose I've had too much time to think about it. Call Cutta gives me a comparable salary but this will be the start of a career, should I survive it. Anyway, while all this went on, Calcutta Walks asked me to take one last walk since they were short-handed last Sunday. 29 visitors from Switzerland, to be taken around Hatibagan. Somebody called up to ask if I could take a few classes on Fashion at an institute. People emailed to ask if I could do a little writing.

It all jumps on me together. Just as I think I need to slow down a little. I hate to let a chance, any chance go, but I also want to spend some time with Vicky and Rahul. Time when I or Vicky are not so tired that all we do is lie around listlessly. Also, even though I bargained with Ashokda to give me some days off soon after I join so that I can visit Madras as planned next month, I do know that will be the last trip anywhere for a while. Which is a slightly depressing thought.

If I continue in this vein I shall soon reach the "Who needs a career anyway?" stage, so I'll stop. And remind myself, as E did, of all the shopping I can do with all the money I will make. That always works.

10 comments:

Rohini said...

Shhhh. Just try it and see. Who knows. There might be something to this career this after all.

Sue said...

Ro -- Thanks, bud.

Mamma mia! Me a mamma? said...

First MM and now you...I wanna wail!!

But good luck to you my dear! How are the nerves of steel doing?

Anansi said...

The shopping ALWAYS makes it worth it :) among other things ofcourse...

Monika,Ansh said...

Oh, shopping makes it all so worth it. All the best. Hope u find your calling :)

D said...

I could do with all those varied job offers right offers to get rid of the ennui at work! So please consider yourself lucky you're in a city where there are jobs to be offered!

Rimi said...

Precisely, Sue. The shopping, I mean. If you have any leftover part-time writing jobs, send them my way, won't you? I would *hate* to ask my parents to pay for my trip home this summer, but with all the survival-shopping (there it goes again) I need to do, I'm going to be short of loose change.

I'm sorry about the school not working out, though. My mum always says when you have a ickle beastie (who in this case is an adorable cutie) at home and you're unwilling to relinquish control to ayahs, a teaching job at a school is the best bet. But personally, I couldn't have worked at a nursery school. Yikes.

Allthebest.

Artnavy said...

i am sure u will do well at whatever u choose finally.

calcutta walks sounds very fascinating

Mama - Mia said...

you go girl!!! :D

cheers!

abha

Sue said...

M4 -- First day of work today. Am trying not to think of it!

Anansi -- Well, I'll be finding them out soon enough, I suppose.

Monika -- Fingers crossed!

D -- Oh I do. Just needed to wail a bit.

Rimi -- Thanks. Will keep the freelance bit in mind.

Art -- You think? Thanks for the support!

Abha -- Thank you muchly.