Sunday, October 26, 2008

Good morning, world.

So Mon and I are sharing a cup of tea across the continent as I type -- well, she's having her green and I'm savouring my Darjeeling -- and all is well in my little world for just now. The Bhablet and the Vicky are fast asleep, facing each other on the bed like two halves of a funny-looking bangle and I wouldn't dream of disturbing them. It's a wet, chilly morning, just perfect for sleeping in. MayG just joined us.

...

Last night when I finally went to bed, it was completely dark and I found myself lying on a lynx ("bagaa"), a Himalayan bear ("balloo"), a hippo ("aati") and a dog ("kukku"). I have thus far been extremely happy with the interest the child takes in his little collection of animals but I think the time has now come to draw a line. How come the menagerie is left for me to sleep on while he snoozes in the uncluttered comfort of his cot?

...

I need new underwear, specifically what Ma would call "oporey porar bhetorer jama" ("underclothes for the upper body"). The child weaned himself eleven months ago and I'm still wearing those ill-fitting nursing bras, even though my size has changed since then. I'm also going to regretfully retire my favourite Marks and Spencers bras, the ones I bought at Rs. 100 each from an acquaintance before the chain came to India. That is how old they are and one is now officially sacred. (Or, if you want, hole-y.) Any ideas on what I should buy? I want pure cotton, preferably jersey material for the fit and I would like to pay not more than Rs. 150 per pc. Am I being hopelessly outmoded here?

After all, as Jack says:
Thought for the day - Though the eyes are the windows to your soul, the zipper is the window to your underwear.

15 comments:

Mona said...

lol :)
i know y'all have splash in india, check them out for underwear and lingerie. fairly decent quality for the reasonable price tags.
i could do with some too, now that you mention it.

Sue said...

Mon -- Never heard of them. Will go check at La Lingerie, thanks.

Let's shop for undies too, simultaneously. It'll give a whole new meaning to the idea of parallel lives.

dipali said...

I think Daisy Dee has some decent designs and reasonably priced stuff, and in pure cotton jersey. Check it out.

IBH said...

you could try Enamour milady :)honestly speaking..i always wear the famous Naidu Hall ones..coz of its affordability,longitivity and can just throw it away if it becomes unfit...coz of its price...and have thise pricey ones for not every day wears...

IBH said...

you could try Enamour milady :)honestly speaking..i always wear the famous Naidu Hall ones..coz of its affordability,longitivity and can just throw it away if it becomes unfit...coz of its price...and have thise pricey ones for not every day wears...

IBH said...

damn! i need tos leep...and phulease delete the excess comments :)

Parul said...

Happy Diwali, Sue and the rest of the family.

IBH recommends Enamour very highly, I can see ;) Go for it!

Ritu said...

Enamour is one of the best. Go for it

http://www.phoenixritu.com/

Monika,Ansh said...

you cud try jockey too. lasts long & real comfy & affordable.

u r better off. my son is 4 & i still have one of those bf bras in my closet.

Mama - Mia said...

i need to get myself fitted to KNOW my right size afta the baccha and subsequent LACK of weight loss!!

i am still wearing my precious mothercare feeding bras because they are the only ones in my size which are almost seamless! bwaaaah!! :(

i wont know a lynx if i see one!! :P

cheers!

abha

Rohini said...

Jockey is good for affordable yet comfy bras...

Casuarina said...

After rectifying the typos, I re-posted this one !

Jockey should definitely suit you. They offer a wide variety of styles and shapes. Enamor is good, too, but I don't think they have much to offer if you are keen on jersey.There are two outlets in Kol currently, I think :@ City Centre, SaltLake and @ South City Mall (2nd or 3rd floor).

Grafxgurl said...

oh goodnes s. i bought mine when i was in Chennai and Cal. Alli ever found were ones where one cup didnt quite fit as good as the other!!

that and i had to stand in a little closet that didnt have enough room to turn around to try them on!!!!

So then i shelled out 600 Rs for 5 really good ones. sigh. it felt like paying in blood then... but now my bazoombas thank me!

Anansi said...

New Market. Opposite the entrance opposite New Empire and such like. They have an entire export shindig going. Affordable, comfy and good to look at.

Sue said...

Everybody -- Thanks for the reccos! I'm checking out Jockeys because their panties do last.

Anansi -- How much should I bargain for, do you think? Have never bought from those shops.

Abha -- Broaden yer education, woman. Go Google lynx. You never know when one will turn up in your bed.