Friday, October 31, 2008

Because Being An adult Also Means Being Big Enough to Admit A Mistake

I'm overcoming my embarrassment and writing this post because, well, because I just read about Winkie's little accident and I wanted to tell him, kiddo, you're not alone!

Bhai phonta night, I came home so tired, so very tired. A single malt hadn't helped matters and the soft drinks and frequent sips of water after a spicy meal meant that I needed to pee really badly when we got home. I sipped some more water and was on my way to the bathroom when the water went down the wrong way and I coughed and coughed and coughed.

To my utter humiliation I found myself peeing in my saree. I couldn't stop coughing and I couldn't stop the peeing and all the while I felt so bloody helpless. I'm thinking, this was Somebody Up There's little reminder of what pregnancy had felt like, what with my recent broodiness...

But you know, it's almost as if I need such reminders of what it's like to be unable to control your body. Because if Rahul has an accident -- and to his credit he rarely does, these days -- I scold him for it even when I know I should know better. Well, now I really do know better.

*sigh*

14 comments:

Monika,Ansh said...

sorry that happened. :(

Mamma mia! Me a mamma? said...

coughing and peeing...sigh...yes, I confess, I too know what it's like.

Maybe, when I am feeling brave enough one day, I can share my mortifying experience with you.

Mama - Mia said...

shall remember this when i start susu amd potty training Cubby in near future!

love your honest posts!

cheers!

abha

Rohini said...

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I've laughed and peed. Twice.

DotThoughts said...

oh the joys of mother hood. happened to me too.

D said...

Take heart. If someone coined a phrase like "shitting in his pants", it must be true for someone!

the mad momma said...

never mind Sue-y. happens to everyone. remember SATC? :)

and bravo on posting about it.

dipali said...

It happens. One of the most hilarious accounts of an adult mishap is here: http://mitalisaran.blogspot.com/2007/11/sleeping-with-enemy.html

PG said...

My confession, not that I have any problems mentioning them: I do my pelvic floor muscle trainig every day. my pelvic floor muscles have also weekended and I have to be careful when i have to cough and my bladder is full.
One tip is to tighten your pelvic floor muscles when you have to. Now, I wish i could tell you in this comment what it means. bet thing is to talk to your gynae now. With age things get worse! Better to take care of it now. Once you know what it is it is very easy. Here the insurance pay for the excercises we take after pregnancy or also otherwise. So, it was no big deal for me.

Sue said...

Monika -- Yeah, me too.

M4 -- Go on, make me feel better. :)

Abha -- Oh yes, it's like you know it's happening but you just can't control it.

Ro -- Y'know, that does help. But it's stilla mortifying memory. And then I went and blogged it. I do need to check my head for crazies...

Dot -- You too?

D -- Haan, but one would prefer the someo-one to be somebody else, na?

MM -- Well, I hope when Winkie's older, if he's mortified by Tara's post he'll also land up at mine and feel better about it. :)

Incidentally, yes, SATC was on my mind when I was typing!

Dipali -- Thank you! I feel better at last.

PG -- Thank you. My muscles are pretty decent now but yeah, some exercise never hurts!

GettingThereNow said...

What can I say? Can't even laugh too hard lest the water I am sipping on goes the wrong way and I end up in a puddle.

:D

Bravo for blogging about this. And thanks too - this gave me the much needed laughs.

Sue said...

Cee -- Go on, laugh. Bah. So much for friends rallying around with sympathy. :(

Monika said...

oh never mind... happens... i have done something similar too but that just after delivery so i have excuse to blame it on :) but u are a brave one

Sue said...

Monika -- :) Nice of you to say so.