Friday, July 11, 2008

A Review and Some Rambling

There has got to be a peculiar piquancy about watching Jaane Tu... Ya Jaane Na with the ertswhile love of my life. If only because this relationship of ours turned out different from theirs in the movie.

No, but seriously. All the fighting, the screaming, the physical attacking, the cussing. That was me then. Brought up by a bunch of young boys, what else did you expect? He, one of the gang, tried his best to shield me from the worst effects of my demi-masculinity and even tried to make a girl of me. Dressed me in salwars and what have you. And he, with the shoulders and muscles of any old farmer's son, could take on anybody he wished to, but never did. Because he could and did always turn a potential fight into a joke. That was him and it exasperated me and I loved him to bits for it.

I realise we've both come a long way when we can both re-visit our youths like that and have so much fun. That I can tell him warningly that I was always a quiet body and he better not spread any rumours to the contrary and he can grin and say, sure, you only screamed out thrice during the movie. And threw one punch. And danced to the songs. And that he and his wife gang up on me and I'm still laughing.

I missed Vicky, but some days I'm not so sure he'd like it. This hooting, hollering kinda fun. I mean, I know he enjoys it in his home ground, but mine? But if he'd been there, it would have been a more cuddly movie.

Hey, how come nobody warned me Jayant Kriplani was in it? I admire the gent, would've gone to see just him.

It's a great movie all round. Good acting, great music (if you don't dance to 'Pappu Can't Dance' you're probably dead or as near as makes no difference) and just the right mix of fun. For instance, just when things get a little senti and you realise the laughter is waning, there is Naseeruddi Shah. Hell, this was one movie where even Paresh Rawal got sidelined, although he was pretty good too.

I came home on a real high. Ran down the driveway out of the sheer adrenalin rush of it. Danced in my room for a bit. Even woke up V just to chatter.

I'm so nostalgic right now and in need of some holding. I've been here in MDR for nearly a fortnight now, another fortnight to go, and I miss having a man around. To generally offload upon. To hold at nights. To smile at and be smiled at. I watched the ex and his wife and I felt sorry for them because she's to have a baby and is off to her parents and will be away for many months to come. And I wonder why V and I squandered the time we did have. I try to live my life without regrets, but it would've been nice to have been less scared, so scared all the time, of losing my baby, of having my husband taken away; it would have been nice to have felt secure in his love. I'm glad I have that now. I guess you could say I should be thankful for that.

Well, all I'm saying is that a fortnight feels like a long time tonight.

13 comments:

Madame Sosostris said...

You know, I actually had tears in my eyes by the time I was done with this post...

Sue said...

Madam S -- But why? Memories of your own, I hope, because I've written mainly of happy stuff from my own past. Anyway, watch the movie, you won't cry, I promise!

dipali said...

I loved loved loved the movie too.
It sparkled. And shone. And I want to see it again:)Let's go together when you're back.

I think we all have our histories that we learn from: keep the lesson, forget the pain. And keep smiling:)

Itchingtowrite said...

that was 1 senti post
linked u on my post
http://itchingtowriteblogs.blogspot.com/2008/07/for-new-dads-dads-in-waiting.html

D said...

There's something for everyone in that movie to relate to: past loves, teen crushes, jealous girlfriends/boyfriends, betrayal, knowing you're in love...

Mystic Margarita said...

Fear of losing a baby is probably one of the scariest feelings in the world, but when things do work out, those fears gradually fade into a distant memory. Glad you loved the film, haven't watched it yet - will watch on DVD hopefully in a few weeks. And I used to like Jayant Kriplani a lot, too :)

Mama - Mia said...

:)

i guess thats where jaane tu succeeds! the fact that something reminds you of your own past and some people around you! :)

and isnt Jayant Kriplani cool? and Anuradha Patel, doesnt she ever age?

so many unseen faces doing cameos was like the highlight! :)

loved the post and all the personal touch!

cheers!

abha

Rohini said...

Oooh. So glad I came by. Was in two minds about whether to leave A with his dad and waltz off for the movie tomorrow. This made my mind up for me - Jaane Tu, here I come!

ibh said...

am going tonite! woohoo!

Shakespere said...

Hi. I enjoyed reading. Sounds like fun. thanks

themunchkinblog said...

I miss my husband too :(
Boo hoo!

the mad momma said...

i enjoyed the movie. total paisa vasool :)

Nat said...

i dont know why I hated the movie - felt so irritated throughout it.