Friday, June 20, 2008

Friday Randomness

Just got a call from somebody who described himself as a journalist from the Times Group. He called because he's doing a story on Calcutta bloggers below 30.

He's got to be one of the most arbit interviewers ever. Kept interrupting me every other sentence. So after a while I started letting him talk, interjecting a question now and then. (What, I've done the journo stuff too!) And then he gets all upset asking who's doing the interviewing. So I pointed out nicely that he was and I would like to be allowed to talk, being the interviewed. Not that that worked.

He was so defensive. Told me twice that his opinion didn't matter -- did I ask? Couldn't name a single blog he's read, including this one. Didn't want to write about bloggers from JUDE. Well, not to sound all JUDEan, but if most of the young, better-known Calcutta bloggers just happened to be from that *shiver, gasp* institution. Beats me why, but there you have it.

So if you leave out all bloggers above 30 and all bloggers from JUDE and all bloggers who are not widely read, dear Shivaji (if that was your name), you don't have much of a story left. As I tried to tell you nicely, before you got on my case. And yes, it's extremely annoying if somebody keeps interrupting me to say that I don't sound very enthusiastic about talking to him.

I have interviewed and been interviewed plenty in my life so far. This has got to take the cake as the second worst. (Beq, remember the worst?) For some weirder reason, he got all coy and upset when I finally cracked and asked him how old he was. I try to give all kids a break but honestly, not if they keep on insisting on being stupid on my time.

....

I wrote this far and then called up the Rimi. And found out she'd been through him before I did. All is explained. All is practically forgiven. Come back Shivaji, your mother (and munna, didun and Bapi) miss you.

11 comments:

dipali said...

Bechara journo!

~nm said...

Hehehe..funny yet irritating such guys are :)

karmickids said...

I hate it, I hate these slurs on my profession.

Random Vignettes said...

Tagged!

GettingThereNow said...

Wha??? No one wants to interview over the hill(read over 35) NRI bloggers????

Loved the last line!

The Believer said...

Has he published your story in Newspaper? since his story is out already and getting a good response too LOL

Rimi said...

I insist on reading this as a slur on my reputation as Sweetness and Light. This post seems to imply I am dragonlady extraordinaire (a la Samitadi the JUDE librarian) who eats journos for evening snacks.

I hereby register my complaint.

reeti said...

hehe...this is hilarious...

D said...

What's worse is when they go ahead and write something you never said in the first place!

Sue said...

Dipali -- Bechara nothing. He was a pain.

~nm -- Really, why take out his insecurities on me?

Kiran -- Well, what can I say? They exist, they thrive. And ppl like me stop being journos because they find other things to do.

RV -- Will do.

Cee -- Well, apparently not. :)

The Believer -- Nah, I'm quite sure I wouldn't feature in his story.

Rimi -- Please register your complaint in triplicate with attested copies of your certificates at counter number three, open on Sundays between 12 and 1205 p.m. Alternatively, complaint book is also maintained by the station master and may be obtained on request.

Reeti -- :)

D -- Why, it happened to you?

Beq said...

I remember that one all right. And that just goes to show you how moronic most interviewers are...what state secret did you reveal this time?