Thursday, May 01, 2008

Somebody ssssssssssstop me

I've been going a little nuts for some time now. Over days, weeks, months. I don't always feel like the me I am. I feel like a younger me. I turn around and get surprised that V's got so many more gray hairs.

I feel like painting my nails. Then I remember all the housework is going to ruin whatever I do as soon as I'm done.

Kuch to zaroor hai...

I find myself wearing my hair loose, skirts, teeny tops and hastily stuff them back into wardrobes. Because I'll be 26 in two months and I don't want to look like mutton dressed as lamb.

I hear myself speak in the old, slangy drawl I last spoke in Uni, cussing as affectionately as I was wont to. Using phrases like 'wont to'. About the only thing I'm not doing is writing poetry.

I check out men just because. I don't even feel like I'm out of the game -- even though I am.

I'm reaching the phase where I'd kill for a cigarette. Actually, I want a joint, but fags are more common. All around me people are smoking. V's never stopped. And I'm trying to act my age and tell myself that I've quit. But the girl I feel inside hasn't quit yet, na?

It's the second year itch, an Indian summer (already?) or my second, er, childhood. Gah!

15 comments:

~nm said...

If you at 26 are going to feel like that, then what are we 30+ women are to feel like??

Come on..go ahead and enjoy these dresses, these tresses and...sorry..couldn't think of a rhyming word with that :P

Mona said...

sue, you're going to be 26 not 76.
sharrap and do all these things.
except the smoking, because you know, smoking kills.

eve's lungs said...

It's summer baby! Does strange things to you

dipali said...

You are nowhere as ancient as you seem to think you are! Yenjoy.

Squiggles Mom said...

Sue - Stop sounding so ancient!!! Enjoy 26 because it only gets worse :)). And how is that supposed to make us near 30's feel? Hmm.....

Rohini said...

Woman, I just turned 32 and I am back to doing skirts and teeny tops so what's to stop you?

SUR NOTES said...

hear this old aunty- go enjoy!
the teeny tops, the boy watching and all else...its may! fiery orange and pale yellow in the air...

karmickids said...

lordie, i am 37 in a month and still wear tight tees. I refuse to age gracefully.

Tithi said...

doesn't it feel better that way? keep smiling! :)

D said...

Girl, you're just 26! In two years time, this is going to look like the 'young' you... So go on, have fun. And trust me, at 28, 26 seems just the right age to be!

Poppins said...

Bah you kids. I'm 30 and feel old. Wish I could feel what you are right now !

Sue said...

Y'all -- OK, OK, I'm continuing on my wicked path. On your heads be it. :)

Suki said...

You're 26, not 56. Just do it!

phoenixritu said...

Even if you are 56, you are as old as you feel and believe .... wear just the clothes you want to, act the age you want to ... that is my mantra. BTW I am 40+ and still wear tees and cleavage hugging stuff.

Sue said...

Suki -- I know, but I'm glad I didn't do all the stuff I felt like, back then! Whew!

Ritu -- :) So, I find, do I wear what I want. I just want it to look my age, whether it's 26 or 16. Bought the prettiest summer frock yesterday.