Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Reading, Writing And -- Oh, Never Mind!

I have a confession to make at the start of this post. I sounded very bindaas when Kiran was worrying over her brat's lack of interest in reading, but I've been known to fret inside me that The Bhablet has never shown any 'proper' interest in his fairly big library of plastic and cloth books. Obviously, after the earlier, harrowing incident I stopped letting him near real, paper books.

When he was ill and listless last week, I decided to strike while the, er, forehead was hot. He was too feverish to sleep and too whiny to play so I put him in his cot, put the side down, pulled him and the cot up to the bed and lay next to him showing him pictures in the book that he was gifted by my favourite second-hand bookseller. And get this, he was interested. I nearly jumped out of my skin with the excitement. I nervously offered him a Dr. Seuss (How the Grinch Stole Christmas) and he liked that too. He read it upside down quite often but pointed out all the bibbis and the kukkus and the daddas, not to mention the buteis and the babababas. We discussed, fairly civilly by our standards, how kukkus say "bow-bow". All in all, we were fairly merry for two people down with the virus.

The next day we were both better and I was taking a quick gander at the blogworld after V left for work. I figured if The Bhablet would co-operate, I could have half an hour before getting down to the chores. But he wasn't interested in his toys and wanted me to play with him. Bolstered by the previous day's success, I found him some paper, dug out an ancient crayon from my brother's schooldays, if I'm right, and showed him how to make marks on the paper. Was feeling pretty pleased with myself. Had got as far as planning out the consequent blog post when he came to me with guilt writ large all over his face and a mouth smeared with suspicious looking purple flecks. He hadn't liked the taste of it at all and so spat out the rest of the crayon.

It was right then that I decided to hand over his education to those who are paid to endure such trauma.

P.S.
The interest in books continues but he won't have them read to him and he'll certainly turn his own pages, thank you very much.

16 comments:

DotMom said...

But that's a grat start! Soon he will find something in a book that interests him and then he will be hooked! hat's exactly how Chip started to "read".

Kodi's Mom said...

:) he looks like he knows exactly what he wants (and doesn't - no crayons for snack anymore, huh!)!

Opaline said...

Buteii

haha, sheta ki?

dipali said...

First we had The Bhablet who Walks, soon it'll be The Bhablet Who Reads:)

Candyfloss said...

Bhablet and the Purple Crayon! ;-)

Mona said...

that's hilarious. i would imagine crayons wouldn't taste very good - kind of like papaya, or soap.
did you ask him?

Sue said...

DotMom -- We live in a haze of books. Most of our library is currently stored at my grandfather's, but I'm making space to bring it all back, and even in the meantime we have plenty of books floating around. He finds plenty to interest him but unfortuntaely his interest is in destroying them, a sure way to start a world war in our flat.

Kodi's Mom -- Yes, he knows exactly what he wants, but unfortunately for him, we also know what we want and we're bigger and stronger and allowed to punish. Heh!

Opaline -- Butei? I'm not precisely sure. 'Bibbi' is interesting thing, usually person or animal. Daddas and Diddis are my parents or people of their vintage. Butei may or may not be a synonym of 'bibbi' but is more likely to be related to 'takatakataka' which is basically a play word which he tosses at me and I'm expected to return.

Dipali -- Let's not be too optimistic here. His idea of devouring a book right now is to actually, physically devour it, you know.

Moppet's Mom -- I will NOT use Candyfloss although I can try Candy if you like (and I'll sing that silly song when I do). What a fantastic title to a story! Let's see what I can make up.

Sue said...

Mona -- You kidding? I was too busy abusing him while sticking a finger gingerly into his mouth and fishing out flecks. I do wonder what happened to the safe-to-eat Inoxocolours of our childhood.

~nm said...

these kids...I tell you...always do something that we can never imagine!

So many times I've found my son's teeth all green or red, even play doh stuck in his teeth!

Candyfloss said...

Yeah, yeah - too many complaints about the name, may have to change it soon...

Can't take credit for the title, though. I was referring to Harold and the Purple Crayon - it's about making up your own adventures, so I'm sure your story will be better :-)

Poppins said...

The pressure these artsy types put on their kids ! What's a crayon for if not for eating I say? Nice colours, smooth texture yum. Err..Did you just say he didn't like the taste of them?

Itchingtowrite said...

my friend gifted the kids a picture workbook- it has photographs and outlines of the same on black hard board. you can colour on the pics with chalks in one of the publications and anothr one has a pen designed for the book. u can scrible on that and wipe clean like a slate. off course there are magmetic slats available... u cud try those for the scribbling bhabhlet... crayons etc they ll write all over the place ...

eve's lungs said...

Lol - a bibbi for Srin was something she was scared of and abigili for Tani was later although it took us some time to figure that one out ! But butei .. that's too cute.
Meanwhile strew the floors with books and books to cheer him on..

Sue said...

nm -- I didn't need that additional fear in my head! OK, no Play Doh for him. Ever.

Moppet's Mom -- I'll have to read this book, I see. I had a funny idea for a kiddy tale the other day, must write it up before I forget.

Poppin's Mom -- Well, he didn't like the purple one, at any rate.

Itchy -- He doesn't want to write. His world consists of things that can be eaten and those that can't...

Evie -- No, I'd rather preserve the books until he does want to read them. He has two out now and two it'll remain.

karmickids said...

But thats absolutely wonderful Sue, the fact that he can sit still enough and pay enough attention to want to turn the pages on his own. Who cares whether he is actually getting the storyline...I am now down to making brat read books during meal times...thats the only time he sits still.

Sue said...

Kiran -- Actually, he's back to cheweing them or trying to take them to bits. So I'm trying to get it into his Bhablet-head that books are special treats and ill treatment means they'll be locked away.

About Krish, do you really want to encourage meal-time reading? It could backfire on you so badly!