Thursday, February 21, 2008

My World This Week (So Far)

On Monday we tried out Sparky's Diner on East Spurtank Road (I think). Quite liked the place -- food and decor. Not mention a cute little 14 monh-old girl who was wandering around. Her parents were in charge of the place for the evening (not sure if they own it) so she was running loose. The Bhablet went to make friends and she responded in Babble (our name for his language) which was all very cute but she definitely did not like the hugging. Oh well. She seemed to be able to fend off unwanted affection. It did bewilder The Bhablet however. I really must work out a way to handle this. Obviously strange kids don't believe me if I tell them that he won't hurt them.

On Tuesday Itchy and ArtNavy and I met up at Ispahani Centre. I was, funnily enough, not the least bit nervous. Left home well in time, persuaded an auto to take me there at a reasonable rate and then went around the shops. Reached CCD with time to spare so I settled in with my book (The Private World of Georgette Heyer, which I'm definitely grabbing off Ma someday). I had no idea who to look out for and just hoped that they'd remember what I looked like. In the end it wasn't quite that simple, as Itchy points out, but she was smart enough to call my mum and find out what I was wearing.

It was so much fun meeting her, and later, Art and Anush. When we met MM and her family last Christmas (a post I still haven't written, dammit) we'd hit it off fairly comfortably but I didn't want to bank on that. I mean, I'd always had the feeling that MM and I would get along, disagreements and all. After all, we're both divas beneath the surface. But what if there were long, awkward pauses here in Madras? What if we didn't know what to talk about? What if...???

You know something? Bloggers never run out of things to say, I'm finding. We like to talk. And blogfriends talk more, because it's like picking up a conversation started before they even met.

What I'm saying here is, we had fun. It was great meeting Anush who reminded me of one of my oldest friends. (For the record, Art, she's grown up to have a great sense of dress and is studying medicine. Just saying.)

Then I went around and spent a bomb on clothes. I've spent three thousand rupees on clothes on this trip and that's the most I've spent at one go in the last two years. On clothes for V and me, at any rate. I walked all over the place, got slightly lost and ended up walking some extra, but I did pick up a couple of good deals at the Cotton World sale (thanks, Minka). I walked so much, I'm fairly convinced that the coffee and chocolate fantasy cake were all worked off me. They better have been. I have been stuck at 59 kgs for the last year and am getting pretty bored with it.

On Wednesday I went out to dinner with Srinivas, Madhavi and Chinni. Went to Sigree at Quality Inn Aruna because it was close. Food was ok. Biriyani was decent while the rotis were only just acceptable, but Madhavi and I were hungry enough not to care. The ice cream afterwards was delicious. I don't remember the name of the place but it's bang opposite Shopper's Stop. Before that I had gone to Valluvarkottam High Road to buy fruit and veggies. Was impressed by how I managed to get all that weight home all by myself. It's a long walk and I don't care who says otherwise.

Incidentally, my new look is getting me whistles on the road. I don't mind those so much (although they do make me a trifle nervous on occasion) but I certainly minded the slap on my butt I got in B'lore. The ruddy nerve.

On Thursday (today-that-was) my father came home a little early and we all went to Mera Toy Shop. It keeps changing names, but it's basically the toy-shop opposite the Gemini Corner Landmark. Hang on, is it still Landmark? Silly name changes. I went looking for summer vests for The Bhablet but they couldn't show me anything in his size. Only had thick vest-short sets which were not at all what I was looking for. At this rate I may just end up making him t-shirts for home wear myself. I'll try out Just Born tomorrow, if I have time. Or try Calcutta, bound to find something there.

Dinner was at China Town, and a very nice dinner it was too. The food was very tasty and the service extremely pleasant. The Bhablet wanted to bounce his new ball off the chinaware but I managed to persuade him not to. (I confiscated the ball.)

---

My parents' servant problem continues. After the gem they had for the first couple of years, they were stuck with a daft, destructive woman when she left. When they moved to Nungambakkam they were landed with an over-paid, under-worked voodoo woman. (If you ever have the misfortune to meet her you'll know exactly why I describe her thus. If you don't, you won't, so spare me the hate comments.) After putting up with her and her airs and graces (and extremely bad housework) my folks fired her in December and my mum's been managing on her own ever since. I think the strain's showing. The flat is large, even if the floor is easy to clean. I've been doing the floors and dishes and tidying up after The Bhablet, but I hope they find another maid soon. The best thing would be a once a week cleaning service. Anybody know if such a thing exists in Madras?

---

As I said, I'm going back to work. It's the same thing as I was doing in my last semester of Uni. I'll be working on Call Cutta, Phase II. Am excited at the work. The two people I disliked working with the most last time aren't back, so that's good news. Am sure somebody else will pop up -- every team must have an obnoxious member -- but by and large I'm looking forward to this. I love the concept, enjoyed what we did with it the last time and am looking forward to the new phase. Hey, and I can always boast that I was part of a movie.

It's my idea of a job: comes with a best before date, pays well, is exciting, involves other lands and languages and people, is theatrical in nature and I can do it part-time. The last is really important because I nearly said no because of the time factor. I can only go for so many hours and I certainly don't want to work 6 days a week, especially when you consider that we'll be playing on weekends too. V and I can work out a precarious time schedule but he will have to learn to go to work in the mornings (and not amble off to work around noon) and I will have to finish all the housework, cooking and other chores, including shopping, in the morning. I've no idea how we'll cope but I'm looking forward to the challenge.

I guess this is what I've been waiting for. The adrenalin rush. The knowing that I'll soon have money of my own. The feel of a creative satisfaction that has nothing to do with anybody else but me.

13 comments:

artnavy said...

i had no idea what to expect but you were certainly far younger and yes, your slim trim look made me go green:-) to think I used to be 59 kgs ( at 5ft8")for years......

you can try this small baby stuff outlet-it is in the lane adjoining the nungambakkam HDFC

just casuals alos somehwree near quality inn aruna and fashion folks near adyar- beasant nagar are all good places for you

clothes encouters near cotton world has good stuff too

dipali said...

Sounds like a good time was had
by all, including The Bhablet!
Looking forward to seeing your new look - and I just might whistle, too.
(Sad to say I can't do a wolf whistle , but I've been known to whistle a tune quite passably). Call Cutta sounds very interesting- let me know the when and where of it.
Hope your mother gets a decent maid soon.

Itchingtowrite said...

all th best for the new venture
if u come to adyar, try cents & pence in gandhi nagar for kids stuff.

Sue said...

ArtNavy -- I think I shall start hanging out with schoolkids now. I'm certainly going to be older than THEM. *Sigh*

I know all the baby shops in our locality. Joke is that my parents moved to this part of town (there are at least 4,5 shops) and I had a kid. Cool Casuals (I think that's the name) on the Elliot Beach is another place I liked. Can pick up good bargains there, esp for girls.

Incidentally, I used to be 53 pre-Bhablet. I guess I'll never go back there. :(

Dipali -- I'm told it's not that different from my normal look, i.e. messy and unkempt. I just feel radically different because he thinned it out so thoroughly, half the hair on my head is gone, even if it doesn't look that way.

Itchy -- Yeah, I went to Cents and Pence a long time ago, I remember. We used to live on Boat Club Road, so Adyar etc. were familiar haunts once.

Moppet's Mom said...

A makeover, a fun job in the offing, meeting bloggers, a long holiday at your parents' place, and getting back to a new apartment! Wow!

Suki said...

You... had a blogmeet on Christmas! Aaaaah I hate you!
On Christmas I had literally nothing to do and had to spend the evening at Science City - a crowded "picnic spot" full of lovers every jhaadi ke peechey literally. It SUCKED. Only redeemable feature was Baby's company, which is why I was there in the first place.
Gawd women, if you forget me again I will KILL you personally. If you don't forget me I will write a beautiful post about what a lovely time I had :D. Now choose. :P

Rimi said...

Sunny, TWO people you disliked working with most aren't coming back? Two? Did I miss a good news or do you like someone better than you're letting on? Do get back to me, please. Preferably over email.

Mona said...

i want to see a picture of this new look, yeah?

Mona said...

also, i'm pretty sure i said this before, but i love the idea of call cutta.

Poppins said...

Whoa a pat on your back and wolf whistles? I can't believe I'm almost missing that, nobody even deigns to give me a second look these days :(

Poppins said...

And your call cutta thing sounds mind boggling, do a detailed post on it please!

Rohini said...

Ditto to what Poppin said. Can't wait to hear more... :)

Sue said...

Moppet's Mom -- Hey, you make my life sound great!

Suki -- Wasn't a blogmeet. Just met MM because they were in town. We do know them a little off the blog, you know. At least, V did, then.

Rimi -- No, I do NOT like that someone better than I was letting on. I'm referring to your special friend of course.

Mona -- Don't have a nice pic, what to do? And I think you said you like the idea of Calcutta Walks, a very different thing! No? Or am I getting confused?

Poppin's Mom -- Gah, I could do without all the attention on the road. I'm still a bit of a tomboy at heart and all this psyches me out.

(Don't tell a soul though, it would ruin my, er, image.)

Poppin's Mom and Rohini -- Yes, will do.