Thursday, November 29, 2007

The Bhablet's Second Winter

Ever since Pujo, I've been feeling so nostalgic. Pujo was early in 2006, and Rahul was born just before it. So, even though this year it fell in the middle of October, three weeks after his birthday, it only felt like a whole year had gone by when I heard the dhaakis start the beats. He was born to the sound of those beats, and as a friend of my mum's pointed out, that beloved music has become even more personal to me now.

I took him to see the goddess, pointed out her 'babies'. (And told him repeatedly how they all went to bed at 9 o' clock. Every night. And without any fuss.) It was such a special few days. He looked so lovely in his FabIndia kurtas, I felt so wifely/motherly in my sarees. And V's mum chose a particularly fantastic one for me this year. Also, my parents spoilt me silly on our trip down south.

And now it's winter. The days have shortened, nights are chilly. It's getting harder to bathe in the tapwater. The Bhablet lives in pajamas and socks. I think in terms of warm meals and fattening foods. And I can't help but think of how it was this time last year. We'd just been in Madras a fortnight. V had gone back to Cal. Rahul decided to have a growth spurt and wanted to be fed all day. I was learning to cope with it all, somehow.

Winter is a pretty nice time to be in Cal. Yeah, the smog is fairly nasty, but if your system can handle it, the mornings are wonderful, the winter sun is perfect for basking in and the vegetables are great! Ok, I know, what would I know of vegetables. And I love how the run-up to Christmas has begun. I love the morning cuddles and how Rahul finally took his first steps this evening.

He's always been a very fast and efficient creeper/crawler, so he's been slow to want to walk. He has been able to stand unsupported for over six weeks now, but he is still not aware of it, and sinks down gracefully as soon as he realises that he is on his own. Today, he stretched out his hand to V, but V just beckoned him over. And without realising it, Rahul took three firm, quick steps and walked over to his father. Of course, he hasn't done it since. But what I really enjoy seeing him do is sink down so gracefully. He rarely falls on his butt.

He's growing up so fast.

9 comments:

dipali said...

Lovely post, Sue:)

the mad momma said...

congratulations!! is this cool or what?! same day as the Bean and all that!

Sue said...

Dipali -- Thank you. Now, when is your next post??

MM -- I know! I was so amused when I read your post!

DotMom said...

Lovley descriptions. Makes me want to come to Cal right now for the winter!

Congrats. Chip was a late walker too. But it doesn't matter in the long run. This is the end of your sanity as you know it. Once they start walking its all over!

Anitha(Nikki's mom) said...

Very well written. Makes me all the more nostalgic. And congrats to The Bhablet.

karmickids said...

Awww. So beautiful. wish I could see a video or something of it happening....the brat didnt walk till he was one and a half and he was a hefty little critter, so kept going down bang on his little tush all the time...

the mad momma said...

Achcha btw.. i notice you've changed your profile story. i am highly amused!

saptarshi said...

What? So i dropped in the day before The Bhablet started walking? How wonderfully glorious!

Sue said...

DotMom -- What sanity would you be talking about? He's been creeping, crawling, falling, climbing for so long now. He's been going up and down stairs by himself for a good long while now. It's just the walking he doesn't believe in. Sanity, hah!

Anitha -- Thanks.

Kiran -- It happened so fast each of the two times. And it's not something he does because he wants to. He only walks because he's not aware that he's doing it. Contrary child. I was imagining Krish as in the pink and blue outfit falling on his tush -- cute!

MM -- :) Now you notice. Rohini has been pulling my leg about it for a while now. May I point out that it doesn't get more traditional than me? At least, not by a whole lot. Not enough to matter!

Saptarshi -- Yep. So you did. :)