Friday, August 03, 2007

A Social Climber

The Bhablet, as I've remarked before, is a social little boy and always has been. He does not like being left alone. Not for a single second. That, as you can imagine, is quite a big problem during the course of the day. I can't work in the kitchen but I have him crawling in at great speed, going "Maaammaa!" to announce his arrival. I might have been flattered except that both he and I know perfectly well that the real attraction in the kitchen are my shelves. He pulls down my stock of scrubbers and attacks the soaps. I eventually let him have the latter, thinking one taste of them would set him right, but he seemed to enjoy chewing the soap case.

Anyway, so this evening V had to step out for a bit. I've got a stomach bug and a little after he had left I felt the rumblings. Now, our flat is set out like this: you enter into our living-room and leading from it is a little hall across from which is the kitchen. To the right are the bathroom and the stairs to our bedroom on the mezzanine. Normally in such a case I tie The Bhablet to the leg of the divan in the living-room (to stop him from trying to follow me) and try to get back in time to stop him from howling the house down. This evening, unwilling to make him cry, and since he seemed occupied with his toys, I placed a chair at the door (to slow him down, since it wouldn't stop him) and sneaked out.

Sure enough, from behind the closed bathroom door I heard the howls as he realised that he had been basely abandoned. I heard him howl into the hall, and then I heard the howls go to a side. I hastily ran out and couldn't see him anywhere. Not in the living-room, not in the kitchen, not in the hall, not at the bottom of the stairs. You know why? Because the blessed boy had climbed halfway up the stairs, still howling, searching for his "Emm-ma".

What would you have done?

I stood there awed, watching him climb till the top. And then I ran and picked him up.

I don't know if I'm proud or upset. What I know for sure is that the trauma continues.

15 comments:

Rimi said...

Be proud. It's yet another of those 'for the first time' moments. He's never going to have another shot at this anymore.

Kodi's Mom said...

I would be proud!!! hey, it is a milestone...regardless of circumstances :)

Mystic Margarita said...

Yippeee.....way to go, Bhablet! I agree with Kodi's mom - regardless of the circumstances, it's a great achievement! How old is Baby B by the way? Must have been a mountain goat in a previous birth! ;)

Rohini said...

Awesome. And I think it was great that you let him finish the climb rather than panic and grab him up...

Opaline said...

Boo baby ebar poka khabe. I know a kid who used to do things like this when he was a baby, he also ate insects.

March Hare said...

:D

Some of the Bhaeblet's photos were shown to me by a certain person. Your son is one adorable kid. :D

Sue said...

Rimi -- He did. Today. But I was ready for him, hah!

Kodi's Mom -- A damn scary one for me, thank you!

Mystic -- I'll just wait till Popol does something like this, ok? The Bhablet is 10 months old.

Rohini -- :) Yes. I don't panic much where he is concerned. I just get very scared and angry at him later on (for scaring me).

Srin -- Go away. I don't want to hear things like that.

March Hare -- Thank you. We believe so ourselves, but it's always nice to have an unbiased confirmation.

dipali said...

Sue, privacy in the privy is all very well, but maybe you wouldn't have been shocked out of your wits if you hadn't closed the bathroom door:)
A climbing up Bhablet is all very well- it's coming down that is scary!

Sue said...

Dipali -- I would ideally leave the door open. I used to do that in Madras. But this bathroom is fifty years old and hard to clean. It has a family of earthworms who have recently taken up residence in the doorframe. (No, I haven't been able to get rid of them. How does one, anyway?)

I certainly do not want him crawling in here.

dipali said...

Earthworms and a bedroom on a mezzanine : change house asap or put a boltable gate at the foot of the stairs (and head if necessary).

Poppins said...

Congratulations ! That is amazing but heart stopping too. I can imagine what you're feeling.

Moppet's Mom said...

Wow! Go Bhablet!

Although I do think Dipali's right about moving house... :-)

Sue said...

Diplai -- We are trying our hardest. Search for new place suffered another setback tonight. In the meantime, I finally managed to kill most of those earthworms. It took salt!

Poppins -- Awful, really. I'm considering resigning my post here or trading in The Bhablet for a younger, less mobile model. Or teaching him to climb downstairs.

Moppet's Mom -- I agree. Them earthworms, the way they were procreating, they evidently got more sex than I do -- and I strongly object to that!

the mad momma said...

tell the earthworms they'll regret it when the husband gets a travelling job. that should stop all the procreating. it might even stop all the sex.

Sue said...

MM -- Yes, that should make them stop and think. I must remember to holler it at them tomorrow morning.