Tuesday, July 17, 2007

A Link, Some Gyan and News

Was wandering around mommy blogs and found this post interesting -- not because Anathaaa defends her decision to keep him at home but because I too have begun to question the Western notion of forcing babies to be independent.

I still agree with Rohini's decision to train Ayaan to sleep by himself. She runs on a tight schedule, and I imagine after a full day's work I wouldn't want to struggle with a bawling baby for an hour each night either.

But personally speaking, since I stay at home, and my time is not limited (well, in comparison) I find it soothing to lie in bed next to my son as he slowly grumbles himself to sleep. He knows I'm there, and I enjoy the dark. This does mean that when he wakes up we have to go to him once more. This is irritating, but acceptable in the long run. In particular, it hits me all the time now how fast The Bhablet is growing, how quickly his phases pass, and I'm learning to treasure them before they are completely over. Also, with time, the bedtime routine on a normal day has come down to 15 min approx. I think I can afford that.

I also agree with Kodi's mom's contention about kids eating by themselves. Everwhere I'm told The Bhablet ought to be using a cup and eating finger foods by himself. Sure, but that won't fill his tummy. He is and and always has been, rather skinny, so I refuse to compromise on the food. Till he is older, I'll seat him in his chair and feed him. What I'm trying to do is to give him a biscuit or rusk to play with chew on afterwards, still sitting in the high-chair, while V and I have our meal. It can be problematic, because sometimes he wants to come down and then we have to go wash our hands and release him, but I think overall it's time he enjoyed meals with his parents.



I have the 'flu, and have kindly passed it on to The Bhablet, so I'm not spending too much time online. Actually, this is the first time I've been online in two days. (Really!) So, well, blogging/mailing etc. are all suspended till further notice.

8 comments:

Kodi's Mom said...

hehe- funny that you addressed me the way kodi does - that is not my real name, you know :)

anyway, glad that theres one more to question the independance theory! ...we are also starting to do the family dinner thing. he picks, plays does everything and once in a while something goes in! after which I do have to feed him..perfectly fine..like you said, the time that I am home,what better work do I have?!! now, if another kid ever comes into the picure, I wonder if I'll change my tune...but for now, thats nowhere on the horizon...!!

dipali said...

Get well soon, Sue and The Bhablet. It was a pleasure meeting all of you.
Mail when you're feeling up to a phone chat.

Moppet's Mom said...

Aww, poor you and WB! Hugs!

When you get better, and are back online, I've tagged you.

Rohini said...

Agree with not rushing to make them independent.

And the sleep training had nothing to do with independence or my working mom schedule. He was a significantly grumpier and sleep-deprived baby before...

First Rain said...

Errmmm.. about raising babies to be independent - when they are kids - after them to be indepentdent, when they are grown up - after them to stay at home and all that jazz....

Kids grow up fast enough so enjoy it while it lasts.

That's gyaan from someone who is nowhere near being a mom :P (that's my apology for this comment!)

Both of ya... Get well soon!

the mad momma said...

post after my own heart...ur tagged by the way. and get well soon...

Grafxgurl said...

you know what.... all babies are unique. they have their own ways in EVERYTHING.. and even though im not a mother yet, i know that you have your OWN unique way of reaching out to your baby.. and no amount of advice on what to and what not to do will ever do anything because that baby is YOURS and you DO know best and you should go by your own instinct like you are.

Sue said...

Kodi's Mom -- I know that's not your name, I just found it awfully cute! You know, I'm pretty sure our second kid will have to grow up a little faster. We'll have 2 kids to think about then, and less time to say, what better work do I have?

Dipali -- Thanks. The pleasure was mutual, as I hope you realised.

Moppet's Mom -- Thanks, I'm working on it.

Rohini -- I suppose. That's why I wanted to Ferberise The Bhablet. Remind me to tell you what became of that...

First Rain -- Yeah, they do grow up fast enough. But I certainly don't want an adult son staying on at home forever. I intend to make that very clear to him.

MM -- Will do, ma'am. (See? You can't complain about lack of respect.)

Grafx -- Sweetie, in practice it's so easy to forget this! When they fall ill and you're nervous as hell, it's hard enough to make out what your instincts say!