Tuesday, June 05, 2007

My New Anthem


My parents have given the Fudge a big book of nonsense poems. They insist he picked it out himself in Crossword. Be that as it may, it is really big. In fact, it is the book he is lying on, in the photo in the earlier post.

And in this book I discovered a poem that sums up my situation, not to mention outlook on life, perfectly. This is how it goes:
Nobody Loves Me

Nobody loves me,
Everybody hates me,
I think I'll go and eat worms.

Big fat squishy ones,
Little thin skinny ones,
See how they wriggle and squirm.

Bite their heads off.
"Schlurp!" they're lovely,
Throw their tails away.

Nobody knows
How big I grows
on worms three times a day.

Anon.
It also reminds me of Dick Van Dyke scratching his head and singing "Chimchimeny chimchimeny chimchim cheroo, I does what I likes and I likes what I... do." He is not comfortable with the grammar in that last "do" but, well, rhyme prevails.

15 comments:

Opaline said...

This is what childhood traumja is made of. Poems like that. Eesh.

Rohini said...

I love that poem. I used to say it to my mom whenever I wasn't getting my way. Didn't work though... :(

Sue said...

Srin -- I think you are missing the beauty of it... I like the thought of threatening to eat worms. :)

Rohini -- LOL Well, did you expect it to work?

J. Alfred Prufrock said...

I have these worm-eating moods too. So I like (and use) this pome muchly.

Preferred 'Bhaeblet'. More succinct yet evocative.

J.A.P.

the mad momma said...

I spent my childhood singing that rhyme and nobody bothered with me... in fact my mum would go eww... and walk off ...

the mad momma said...

i think i'm going to put my money on bhaeblet. it has a lovely ring ot it!

First Rain said...

Yay! Nonsense rhyme makes more sense any time and any age! :D

And while I am at it, I vote for 'Bhaeblet,' too! :P

Sue said...

Folks, folks, what can I say? The Bhaeblet he will remain. You have pleased V muchly and it strikes me that everybody always takes his side. I shall go eat worms.

Rimi said...

Bheblet indeed! And for such a pretty child too. I'm muchly miffed. NO love to V for this.

And you were right, Sue. That poem is So the motto of my life right now. Except the worms bit. Let's just quietly substitute with thick juicy sausages, shall we? And rhyme be damned.

Rohini said...

Ah..the optimism of the pre-teen years :)

Beq said...

This is incidentally, a very famous pome. The version I had read in school (class 3?) went like this:
"Nobody loves me, nobody cares
I'm going to the garden to eat some worms"
Its still the line I love the best and keep telling meself

Hiren said...

Its a good poem really...Because it is more close to my daily weekdays life.:(

Please tell me the name of the book.I want to read it.

Sue said...

Rimi -- You address your complaint to the right person, young lady. I had nothing to do with it. I would skip sausages in this heat and go for, er, bananas? Big, squishy ones?

Rohini -- Have you noticed how many people have already claimed it as a childhood favourite? Seems there were a lot of worm-eaters out there. Maybe we should have a club.

Beq -- And how did the rest of it go? I've always wanted to know. There are other poems as well, in that book, that you'd like.

Hiren -- A Macmillan Big Poetry Book. Called 'Pop Goes the Weasel'.

Sunita said...

Surprisingly, I have never heard that one before.

annastales said...

i love it too. just written a post on it :).