Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Motherhood Being the Necessity for Invention

I believe the saying goes remarkably like that. If it doesn't, it should.

The Bhaeblet (I know I said I'd stop calling him that, but I can't!) has started Cerelac. I have written before, of the perils of feeding a Bhaeblet. Well, the difficulty is compounded when you have to deal with a larger baby, flailing limbs, a bowlful of runny, semi-solid paste and a distractingly shiny spoon. WB reaches for anything he sees, and the shine of the spoon is too much temptation.

So, I struggled with this backbreaking combination for one evening. Why backbreaking? Because I needed to contort myself into all kinds of strange postures just to hold the child down so that I could reach the spoon to his mouth. He is so eager to get at the Cerelac as well as the shiny spoon, he doesn't know what to do and kicks them both away in his impatience. And he still needs to be supported while he sits, so obviously I have to seat him in my lap. Oh, and he also got upset when I removed the spoon from his mouth to scoop up some more pap from the bowl.

In short, it was a ghastly mess.

Anyway, subsequently I resorted to the bottle-with-a-spoon I had bought to feed him juice. (Needless to say he refused to have juice from it and is thus given his juice in a regular bottle.) And it was a roaring success! He watches the Cerelac slide down into the spoon from the bottle with round eyes and I have one hand free to pin his arms down. He can still kick out, but I can avoid that if I'm careful.

But this led to another problem. To slide through such a narrow tube the pap needs to be absolutely lumpless, which means straining, and that takes forever, with a normal spoon. Also, since it needs to be slightly more runny, one has to add the extra water very carefully, to get the rigth consistency. This evening, I suddenly thought of the measuring spoons that come in his tins of formula -- they are shaped like little, deep tumblers on long handles, and have a tiny hole in the bottom to ensure that the powder doesn't congeal at the bottom. They turned out to be great at mixing and sieving the Cerelac too, because they help push it through the sieve and if you pour the water into the measuring spoon, it goes out very slowly through that tiny hole and it's much easier to maintain the correct consistency.

I know, I'm a genius. Just thought I'd share that knowledge.

No comments: