Wednesday, December 20, 2006

The Duchess Decides

It's been nearly three weeks since The Bhaeblet decided to revert to his nocturnal habits, and I'm nearly dead of the effort of staying up with him. (Hence the low profile on Orkut, this blog, and even the email.) I wouldn't mind if he stayed up and played by himself, but no, that would be too nice of him, wouldn't it? I have to stay up, play with him, rock him and generally make a fuss over him. Since I cannot do that when I'm half dead, he cries and I bury my head in the pillow and try to will myself into snatches of sleep.

The one thing I really object to in such a little baby is how he fights sleep. It's just not on! He shakes his head from side to side, in an effort to shake the sleepiness out of him, and he gets crankier and crankier the sleepier he gets. He keeps fighting until quite suddenly, worn out by the tremendous effort all this entails, he falls fast asleep.

You know what's worse? He has his own spot on the bed, banked by pillows, and so long as he is in it, all is well. But if he is outside, if I let him sleep alongside me (sometimes, in the middle of the night, I feed him lying down and we both nod off while that's happening), usually I am woken up by kicks. Fast asleep, he keeps on kicking me. I keep moving, so as not to inadvertently fall asleep on top of him. This goes on till I find myself falling out of bed.

You know what this means, don't you? This means WAR.

He has already begun the offensive, mind you. He goes tale-tattling to my parents, and even my grandmother (who is visiting us) gets to know of all my 'perfidities'. The little fink.

I have decided that in a short while, as soon as he is a little older, I shall give him two hefty thumps as soon as he gets up each morning. He is bound to justify the spanking during the course of the day, is the way I see it. Of course, when I announced my intention at the lunch table it was met with cries of horror and consternation, not to mention improper threats against my person. (I'm married, dammit and a mother, I will not be scolded if I decide to thump my own son -- who definitely asks for it.)

Ever since V left, over a month ago, I tried to show unusual (for me) patience, love and affection, figuring that he's a Very Little Boy who would undoubtedly have been spoilt by his father, and since the father isn't around, he mustn't miss out on the spoiling. Well, hah! From now on, my theme song will be this one:

Speak roughly to your little boy,
And beat him when he sneezes:
He only does it to annoy,
Because he knows it teases.

8 comments:

Soubhik said...

oi! what happened to your little ticker then?

Soubhik said...

(i mean the one on the bottom of the page)

Sunayana Roy said...

Soubhik -- Ooh, online, are we? I lost it. Ever since the move I haven't had the time to footle aorund with beta.

M (tread softly upon) said...

LOL...looks like you need some sleep :)

Rohini said...

You poor thing. If you are still struggling with sleep issues at 5-6 months and you are willing to be a bit hard-hearted in the short term for brillinat long term results, I could seriously recommend the Ferber sleep training technique.

Ayaan was just like this and used to sleep a grand total of 8-9 hours a day as an infant but post the traning, he sleeps 9-10 hours at night and another two hours in the day.

Sunayana Roy said...

M - You betcha.

Rohini - I read up on it. Tough to put it in action when you are surrounded by granparents. So I'm waiting till we get to Cal. Hard-heartedness is not an issue!

Beq said...

Aww. Now that Vicky's there, you must get some sleep, must must

Sunayana Roy said...

Beq - Well, I'm trying.