Sunday, October 15, 2006

Lapses

Somehow, over the last year or so, I’ve become insanely vague. And I mean insanely. They tell me pregnancy does that to you, but is that all that’s the matter?

I keep mixing people up, for one thing. I talk to a body, all the while as if I were talking to another person altogether. I do it more and more. Yesterday I was talking to one of V’s cousins, when she started sounding increasingly puzzled. I was asking after her change of job etc. – only, it wasn’t her who has been doing all the stuff I was talking about, but another cousin of theirs. I’m afraid she may have been a little offended.

About two months ago I met this girl on the road whose face I recognized. The recognition was mutual, so we stopped and chatted for a minute. But she looked completely blank when I spoke of the stuff we’d done together. Today, while going through some Orkut pics, I realized I’d mixed this girl up with a completely different person. They don’t even look alike! At least, not much. The scary thing is, both the girls in question are people I liked, and they are from two utterly separate spheres of my life, so you’d expect me not to mix them up like that?

It’s unnerving, and in the end, not really very amusing. I keep making one faux pas after another, and somehow, people aren’t as forgiving as they might be. And I don’t feel like I can depend on my memory any more.

4 comments:

WishfulThinker said...

LOL! Talk about shooting yourself in the foot! I prefer the term 'self-suicude' though. Muahahahahaha!!!

Rohini said...

To continue the tradition of being the most depressing of your readers, let me also tell you that it will get worse before it gets better - thanks to the sleep deprivation...

Sue said...

Wishful - I can always depend on you for the cheer and comfort, can't I?

Rohini - I don't think it's entirely the pregnancy/sleep deprivation... The problem began before the advent of The Wee B. On the other hand, I do now know what you meant about being tired. *Sigh*

Beq said...

Methinks there's a medical term for this. Its strange cause I have an amnesia for names, not faces