Friday, August 18, 2006

Here's Lookin' at You, Kid

What with all my comings and goings, a little anniversary I’d planned to celebrate quietly has been entirely passed by. Sunny Days is now over three years old. I’d started the blog as a lark during a brief holiday in Bombay, and I only did it because I was staying in the IIT-Powai campus, where the internet connection was so good and therefore surfing was a lot of fun. The name came partly from Gavaskar’s book (Mum’s a fan) and mostly from a Uni nickname I’ve tried hard to lose entirely. (I gave up the fight when little freshers wet behind the ears took to calling me Sunny’di – I ask you!)

Sunny Days was originally in Rediff (the old posts can still be seen there) and the tagline reflects the dialup connection we used to be dependant upon then. Ah, the slow old days…It’s seen a lot since then. If anybody had hopped along back then and told me I’d end up being married to V, not to mention carrying his child, in three short years, I don’t know who’d have been more startled, the man, his brother or me. (I knew the brother-in-law before I knew the husband, in fact I love telling people I married my friend’s younger brother.)

The old blog saw me through the mad days between BA and MA, when I suddenly decided to start on a career. I had begun writing for The Statesman by then and the blog records my journalistic endeavours as a serious of panic-attacks about overdue deadlines. Then followed the phase where I did only theatre in various forms and that too is chronicled, in fits and bursts. The parents had moved to Madras around then, so a lot of posts have to do with my ‘discovery’ of life there. As I neared the end of my Masters, the people I used to hang out with in Uni scattered all over the place, since they had mostly been seniors of mine. Something of my loneliness of that period shows. The person I thought was the love of my life got married, and it was only in my blog that I ever recorded the depression that put me through. And then there was a brief period of wildness, what I like to call my own version of a lost weekend, which has probably the most fun posts of all.

A year ago I moved to Blogspot, on Rimi’s urging. I suspect that had a lot to do with the kid trying to get me to read her blog in the first place, but after I’d got used to having to actually navigate the marshlands of HTML, I realized I was having quite a good time. So, I moved and have been here ever since. That’s the story, more or less.

I’d begun archiving the old posts from Rediff over here, but it’s still not complete. In the meantime, thanks to my last job and Blogspot too, I’ve actually understood what HTML tags are. I even put up one or two little thingies on my sidebars by myself, including the counter, and the weathergirl, and the little marquee at the bottom which everybody misses. (The term sidebar though I picked up from the graphic designer I married.)

Seriously but, three years, huh? Makes you think. And if you thought the blogging has been sporadic the last three months, I’ve got to tell you it used to be far worse earlier. But I think it was over here at Blogspot that I got into the public nature of blogging, and realized the attractions of writing for eyes other than mine own. So I guess Sunny Days is here to stay, at least for the foreseeable future. Happy birthday, kid, and may you have many more.

12 comments:

Rimi said...

Cheers to that!

And I never called you Sunny'di. Excuse me! How inane is that! However, I shall stick to Sunny, just like you stick to Priyanka.

But more importantly, back, are we? Just tell us when the tentative date is, so we can set a tentative date to the Return of Sue :-) (have you guys thought of a name yet?)

Anonymous said...

ya... have you thought of a name yet?

Rohini said...

Hello there. How are you doing?

Sue said...

Rimi - Well, it all depends on how wet behind the ears you considered yourself. Funny to think of you being a final yr grandee now.

Date's anytime between Lakshmi Puja and Diwali, barring emergencies before that.

Anon - Not really. You're welcome to leave some. You could even start with your own, so I know who dropped by :-)

Rohini - Hi. I'm not doing too badly, thanks. Love your new pic! More later.

Walrus said...

hey. this is kind of coming really late. i've been sort of suspended for a while but OH MY GOD!!! YOUR HUSBAND MADE YOU THIS PICTURE!!! I AM KIDNAPPING HIM FOR A WHILE...u hear that? KIDNAPPING....(ominously crackles and vanishes into thin air.)

Joy Forever said...

Congrats, and all the best! :)

Anonymous said...

umm... for starters... if its a gurl.. i think ... umm... sitara is a nice one.. if a boy... well.. nevermind..

see.. i actually took you seriously.. i'll dig up a few more and post later

WishfulThinker said...

You're back!! And three years??? Bleady!!!! I think it's time for me to get you back onto my sidebar!! :D

Sue said...

Joy - Thanks.

Anon - Please do.

Wishful - You came dangerously close to falling off my own sidebar, with that crack...

WishfulThinker said...

sue: The only reason I took you off my sidebar was because everytime I would land up here and see no post, it became very depressing. So there! :)

Jay said...

Good golly Sunny! Three years! That said, in future any month-long absences can, should and will be deducted from your blog age.

Wet blanketing aside, Happy Blogversary!

Sue said...

Wishful - :P

Jay - As my cousin told V, "You're a meanie!"