Saturday, May 13, 2006

'Tis the Season to be Sleeping tra la la la la lal-lal la

The weather's changed the last week or so. V and I were wishing Ally-the-car had reached already*, because the nights are lovely for drives. For those who don't know what I'm talking about, the kalboishakhi season has finally reached us, and the heat has given way temporarily to awesome thunderstorms, strong winds, black clouds and what the Met office never fails to call "evening showers". (And that's a gross understatement. Showers indeed. When these babies get going nothing in the way of raingear is any protection.) The ants are scurrying about, the trees are looking partly washed (it'll take much more washing than a few thunderstorms to get all that pollution off) and everybody is feeling slightly unsettled.

I'm informed those with a romantic bent to their mind are feeling moody. Good for them.

Me, I just want to sleep. It's lovely weather to do almost anything in, and sleeping is one of them. Right now, I would love to be tucked up tight in bed, snacks by my side, a movie loaded on the Mac and the remote nearby. Say a hot drink handy too, while I'm dreaming. Oh, and I almost forgot to put the husband in place. Yes, well, I think we'll leave him out of the covers just yet in case somebody has to run down and get stuff, like more food, or newspapers so that bedsheets don't get all crumby, things like that.

Now certain observant readers will have already realised I said I need books and a movie around me to sleep comfortably and are wondering at the contradiction. Well, there isn't anything paradoxical in that at all. As was mentioned to Jabberwock recently, I find something intensely soporific about watching movies at home. Especially when I'm watching from bed. It used to shock V, then he used it to tease me for a while, now we are both accustomed to this quaint little quirk in my nature (never mind all his rude little jabs in Jabberwock's post). It is taken for granted that a movie will be watched twice, the second time from somewhere in the middle, so that I can watch all the stuff I missed.

Those of you in the habit of feeling sorry for V (I wonder why your parents didn't do something about such nasty little habits when you were younger) can relax his time around. He was shocked when I slept through the end of Sanjuro, but by the time we sat down to Shaft (am refering to the orginial version here) he was prepared. He watched it through till the end, refused to let me see what I missed when I woke up, and has been firmly refusing to play it any more ever since. So I still don't know what happened.

*Ally, along with some books and stuff of ours, is due from Madras next week, with luck.

9 comments:

WishfulThinker said...

You fall asleep during movies???? I can understand falling asleep whiel reading, but movies???? V does have my sympathies! You do not deserve to watch all of Shaft! Hah! *fastly running away*

Sue said...

Wishful - I shall watch all of Shaft someday. So there.

Anjaan said...

Wondering if uve seen "ong Bak" And Yojimbo. Both Different genres but equally exciting for some bed viewing! :)

Rohini said...

Ditto to what Wishful said. How can you do that? With me it's just the opposite. I have often stayed up way later than I should have because I started watching a movie and couldn't stop. And sometimes, if the movie is one of the thought-provoking ones, I lie awake for ages mulling over the movie as well.

Essar said...

Why movies or weather? Just sitting in office or facing my monitor has a soporific effect on me ... nodding off as i type ..............

Beq said...

Tis also the season to pick up a cold and get a nose drip..tra da da da da da da da da

Sue said...

Anjaan - Seen Yojimbo but not the other one. Good fun!

Rohini - You don't understand. It's the combination of a comfortable bed and lots of pillows and the darkened room. I can sleep through any movie in such surroundings.

Essar - See, you understand. Did you get that I was at work ona lovely, cloudy Sat. afternoon while V was sleeping at home and how utterly jealous I was? Because that's where the post kicked off.

Beq - Me, I don't have a nose-drip. Do you? And how was the Club food?

once again said...

damn ! i know what u're talking off !! a comfortable bed, nice XTRA LARGE cushions to hug, all that popcorn and those chocolates and alcohol and blah blah just fill ur stomach up and ur off to best nap ever !!!!

Sue said...

Once - Lets form a group. Us nappers against a cruel, un-understanding world. Sob.