Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Appeal

Dear Reader,

I probably oughtn't do this to myself because I daresay once I publicly declare that this site is not really dedicated to putting dear V down you will all feel cheated and never visit no more, but the fact is, judging from all the responses I have received over varied posts, I'm getting a bit concerned.

See, V's a nut. But I have never denied that he's a handy nut. And obviously I wouldn't say that if he didn't do stuff to prove he's handy. Yes, there's much that he doesn't know about running a house -- but he's never had to run one before in all his twenty-nine years. And therefore there is much that he doesn't realise needs doing at all. When we first started playing house-house (or bari-bari as we Bongs would call it) he seemed to assume that laundry did itself, and kitchens would be magically cleaned and that vessels left out with food in them would not face any threat from corrosion, attract insects etc. Stuff like that. He's fast losing all his illusions. But he's also learning, if you do something carefully and correctly the first time round, it saves you time and effort later. Like, if he somehow finishes packing the tiffin while the maid's around, he doesn't have to wash up or clean up afterwards.

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is, the man tries. Mostly. So I do not diss him. Well, not much. Not so much as you'd notice. Anyway, even if I'm occasionally a bit rude about him, there is no reason for anybody to assume that I'm a man-hater. Because I'm not. I find them silly, but I've always been fond of the critters. Especially V. So don't give him any more reasons to smirk at me or so help me God I will murder the man, and then I might miss him and it'll all have been your fault. You, commenting lightly on important matters.

Sincerely,
Exasperated Wife

9 comments:

WishfulThinker said...

Thanks babe, for being fond of us critters. For the record, us critters are quite fond of all you girls out there too. For the most part atleast. :D

Grafxgurl said...

i feel the same way.. i groan about him all the time to my parents... because A is so "unready" for everything that marriage calls for in terms of responsibility in the house...but i love him and he is eager to try things my way all the time...so...when theres loves at the bottom of every marriage....no one can really be a hater... under any circumstance.

i really vibe with the way you think...i dunno bout you.. but i find it really strange that your thoughts...are my thoughts too.

Rohini said...

I know my husband couldn't give a rat's ass if the floor was covered with dirty laundry, the bedsheets were littered with crumbs and stains from food and the toilet seat was always in the 'up' position. But he knows that I do give much more than a rat's ass for all of the above and much more. So he tries... and fails. But atleast he tries :)

Sue said...

Wishful - We, generalise, but with exceptions. Always, except when we don't :-)

Grafx - Yeah, I've noticed it before. I call it our mutual wateriness.

Rohini - That's the point, I give them points for trying, because I know they weren't brought up to it. I woulnd't ever give my brother a single point for 'trying' because he was taught all I know the same time I was. But V was not that lucky.

splchk said...

loved the post -- but please, please will you change "allusions" to "illusions". um... i assume you wanted to say illusions...

Sue said...

Splchk - Done that, thanks. And yes, it was a typo.

Ph said...

I have to admit *gulp* that I am becoming less tolerant of only trying. But going to prison for killing a man is not that exciting an option. Whattodo.

Mint Chutney said...

After 7 years of marriage my husband still neglects to soak his dirty dishes. I wish I could say it doesn't bug me, but it does. If that's the most pressing thing in our marriage than I consider myself extremely lucky. : )

Sue said...

Ph - Well, it's not been four months of marriage yet. Only a month since we started out alone. I'll give him a month or so more before I step up the intolerance, I suppose. :-) (He reads this blog regularly, including the comments, lol.)

Minty - You know a good way to cure that? Make him wash them in the morning some days. When he realises the difference that little soak makes, he'll do it more often. That's how my mum got me to do it.