Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Wednesday, Post 1

Lots to write about today. Take yesterday evening, for instance. I was walking home from work, strolling up the Dhakuria Bridge and not paying anything any particular attention when it struck me that a peculiar, scraping pair of footsteps was marching along to mine, even slowing down when I did. So I stopped and looked around me in a vague sort of way. Saw the steps belonged to a ruffianly-looking runt in pink. Now I have often observed that the mere fact that I'm wearing a skirt (as opposed to say a pair of trousers) often gives folks the idea that I may be followed, because, don't you know, wearers of skirts are more gentle, feminine, easier to intimidate. Patricularly if the skirt shows more than your toes -- and mine showed the backs of my knees!

Anyway, it was 7 in the evening, the bridge was crowded and I felt a little naughty. The runt had obviously been carried ahead, but then he stopped some yeards in front of me, to let me get back in front. Let the creep work a bit for his pleasure, I thought. I had just reached the top of the bridge, too. The thing is, anybody watching me ambling along like I do these days will rarely grasp just how fast I can walk when I want to. I may never have been a brilliant speed-walker, but I can outpace the average pedestrian.

So the fun began. I suddenly took off, and man it felt good to be walking so fast again. Reached home in a record three minutes. I had heard the footsteps quicken on the bridge, but lost them entirely by the time I reached the road. The runt was obviously nowhere to be seen by the time I turned into my block. Cool. But it got me thinking, what about when I can't walk so fast? Hopefully by then Ally will be in Cal.

More later. While you're waiting, ruminate over this. Where were you when self-esteem was being handed out, sister? I do not judge women giving in to violence, but justifying it, and to this extent, is just plain pathetic.

3 comments:

Inkblot said...

like your style, skirts and all..

indianpeppone said...

In that case, i will also b there on the bridge tomorrow.... in my Nike's..... u wont stand a chance....but do wear a skirt plzzz!!

Sue said...

Inkblot - Thank you

Peppone - Since you're coming down from Dubai can I send you a shopping list please?