Friday, April 28, 2006

Goa Finally Happened!

Took a couple of days off blogging, what with one thing and the other. Tuesday was spent at Tolly Club. There was a seminar organised by the company, where Dick Shaver spoke of Direct Marketing and generally gave some of us a lot to think about. I'm not sure all of it applied to what we do, but some of it certainly does, and the rest of it, the general marketing stuff, made sense when Sumit Roy was giving us tips on publicity the other day. Sumit, of course, was speaking in terms of theatre, but that requires advertising too and getting sponsorships is so hard. Bleady.

Anyway, that was Tuesday. It was ok as days go. We were given a decent lunch at the club and tea and all that jazz, so I'm not complaining. :-) Afterwards I met Harsh who gave me a lift to rehearsals. Oh, and while we're on the subject I'd like to point out what an utter brick the boy's been all through Goa. He just wouldn't let me lift a finger if he could prevent it! I spoke to him very sternly about minding his own business, but I was grateful.

Wednesday was spent mostly at Gyan Manch (the hall where we performed). What with Sunday having been a more than usually disastrous tech, it was really necessary to get a smoother run on Wednesday to boost morale all around. When I say all around, I mean Director Shuki's. It was a very long day though, and I came home tired and depressed, what with family stuff and all... I was all ready to sleep what remained of the evening away when Mejopishi called and said we were all going out to dinner at Mocambo. Now, as we all know, there is nothing that chirps me up quite so fast as the prospect of a trip to Park Street so I pulled out the glad rags and slapped on the old warpaint and spent a happy evening after all. Greek Drunken Prawns, Devilled Crabs, Chicken a la Kiev and vanilla ice cream with choco chips in it contributed to the sweetness and light. Food's a good thing, na?

And then it was Thursday, election day and show day all in one. I bunked the election bit since I wasn't feeling too good and the thought of leaving home a couple of hours earlier just to go vote for some unknown person in Ranikuthi wasn't incentive enough to make me assert my civic duties. Yes, I know I'm a failure as a citizen. And no, I don't care. I'll vote next time.

Show went off fairly well (to Shuki's wonder?) albeit a little slower than it ought to have. Dana pitched in at the last minute and did her "uncanny efficiency" bit at makeup, providing sets and props and generally soothing Shuki-who-was-convinced-nothing-was-going-to-work-out. Sonali, who hit town late on Wednesday night also dropped in backstage and chipped in. Nice to have her back in town, even if it's only for a week. All of which only goes to show Shuki ought to worry a lot less. Her plays have done well both times, and she knows she's got a good bunch (well, mostly) working for her. But then, who's preaching, if it were my baby I'd probably be much worse than she she is...

V didn't make it, yet again. The man seems to be making it a habit of missing my shows. Well, his loss. I sang. Harsh says I mixed up words, but since I was singing in a trance of sorts, I don't know if he's right. He probably is.

And for all those who showed concern and vulgar curiosity about the fracas I spoke about in Monday's last post, the issue is not much clearer so far as facts go but I do know something: the people who delight in bitching about me ought to be more careful about their facts. There is embarrassment all around and yet again, it has not been possible to prove their accusations. Well, it's difficult, isn't it, to prove something happened that never did? I'm being deliberately obscure here because of, well, reasons. I'm sure Cousin T would approve, not to mention Bhai.

NOTE: Just to explain, Dana happens to be Sumit's daughter. One of my favourite families, together with mother Katy and son Ronaan. Speaking of Ronaan, he's directing Vijay Tendulkar's Silence! The Court is in Session at Gyan Manch next Saturday (6th May). Go catch it if you're in town, I'm told it promises to be good.

6 comments:

ichatteralot said...

I had lobster thermidor and baked alaska in Mocambo recently. The food is great but the fat waiters suck!

Sue said...

Chatty - I know just what you mean. The service could be a lot friendlier. I once dined there with a German who directed this play I worked in and you should have seen the way they all sucked up to him though.

Grafxgurl said...

sigh.. i wish i had more time in Calcutta...

i used to hate chennai.. but when i found great friends i found i didnt want to leave at all!!

( ok i dont know why i said that!?)

anyway...may i link you?.. id liek to add you to my "tin of Sardines"..lol...

Sue said...

Grafxgurl - I'm fond of Madras myself. My parents live there, you know. Sure, link if you like. I need to update my lot sometime soon.

Shuktara said...

It feels strange to read this now. So strange.

Sue said...

Shuktara -- Yes. Yes, it does.