Saturday, December 10, 2005

I've Been More Naughty Than Nice...

Am in a little bit of a mess, notwithstanding the optimism felt earlier in the day. Oh well, what the hell.

Yesterday H and I went out to see the Fort St. George Museum. After the usual changed plans and mix-ups we finally made it at 4 o' clock, only to find that the place was closed on Fridays. Had some of the excellent roadside coffee Madras has, to get over our disappointment, and then he offered to take me over to the other beach, newly developed, beyond Besant Nagar. It was a cold journey (although thoroughly enjoyable) and we were both chilled through by the time we reached. So we headed to the nearest restaurant and asked for hot stuff. Had some soup, but that didn't do the trick, so we asked for a quart each of brandy and vodka. He had the vodka and I finished the b with lots of hot water. I knew it was the cheap stuff but I didn't know just how awful those things could be. Well, I do now...

Thankfully H needed no explanations and brought me home straightaway, where I walked from the front door into bed without so much as stopping to change my damp kameez. The parents were nice about it, tucking me in with a hot water bottle and letting me sleep it off. They were even nice this morning, when Baba asked me what it was that I'd had. They aren't being nice any longer, although Baba's wrath seems to have taken the edge off Ma's anger. Ah well, I knew it would happen. Was expecting too much to think I could actually show up drunk in front of them and get away with it. Wish they’d blame me for my mistakes though. Nobody leads me anywhere, hasn’t for years.

Note to self: try not to think of offspring as children beyond their legal majority. They are not, nor do they act like it, and they certainly do not like being treated like it.

Further note to self: read these notes when offspring attain majority.

2 comments:

vicky said...

don't get caught at getting drunk, of course!

Sue said...

Well, I wasn't planning to get drunk last night. Just happened. And I was ill cos of the bad stuff, not drunk as I wd've been otherwise. And be sympathetic, I've been fragile all day, still am. :-(