Friday, December 09, 2005

The Chennai Routine

I never did write of my week in Cal. A packed one it was too. Well, what’s to say? When you stay with the (Sumit) Roys, things are usually fun. V’s ‘birthday’ sticks out. I’d promised him that we’d celebrate it this visit since we were in separate cities on the day itself. So we caught Goblet of Fire and then went down to Cakes on Rawdon St., where we polished off a pound of truffle cake between the two of us. We had quite an audience, ranging from a fascinated staff to a bawling kid who couldn’t believe our luck and didn’t want to.

And now I’ve been in Chennai for the best part of three weeks. Have been taking driving lessons, with indifferent success if you ask me. I daresay I’ll always be a nervous driver. Oh well, at least I have a car to drive. And a license to do so as well, yippee! Spent a few evenings happily drinking with the IIT crowd, some others just chatting over coffee at the beach. One time, Nancy and I went around with Curly and his father to buy a ‘fridge and washing machine for their new place. Have been reading some, focusing on Amanda Cross’ Kate Fansler mysteries, Anne Rice’s Vampire Chronicles, Agatha Christies and Lemony Snickets. A nicely gory and depressing lot, very entertaining in this combination. Also read a collection of Roald Dahl’s short stories, come to think of it. I do like the Gymkhana Club library.

Have also been working frantically (at sporadic stretches, mais si!) on my embroidery. There is so much plain sewing to do too.

That’s my life now, at least for the next one week until Ma and I leave for Calcutta.

6 comments:

vicky said...

You didn't mention the car...

Sue said...

I'm not sure I quite understand what your comment means. I did mention Ally, although I didn't write about her being a blue Alto. She is, if that is what you're asking.

vicky said...

no i meant the little toy the big boy plays with...

Sue said...

You mean that little car? :-)

vicky said...

Citroen CV 15, (1952) Jet Black.
Inline 4 cyl.
2866 cc
78 bhp
max. speed 130 km/h.

Citroen CV 15

Citroen CV 15, the real thing

Sue said...

A lot of cross-talk. Ok, well, now everybody knows what you got for your birthday. And a very nice car it is too. Steering controls the front wheels, which absolutely killed me, folks.