Thursday, January 27, 2005

Isn’t it strange how amongst all the other kids who entertain me and occasionally endear themselves to me, one runs right in and captures my heart straight out so that I miss him days after he has left? Ghocha, wherever you are, this one’s for you. I
I miss the fun and bustle of Sonali’s wedding although it’s been almost a week since the fell deed was done. But more than that, much more, I miss that damn nephew of hers. I keep hearing him call me “Sunnny” in that way he does so it’s an effort not to turn, to remind myself that it’s only in my head. When I hear his voice plaintively order, “Sunny, come! I’m waiting” I instinctively turn to reassure him that I will indeed hurry up and join him at his play.
What was it about him that turned my head so? I was bowled over by Arvind but I’m beginning to wonder if I haven’t fallen a little bit in love in the nicest sort of way with Ghocha.
What an absurd name it is to be sure, but how well it fits him. I couldn’t have son like that in a million years because to create a Ghocha I guess you’d need parents like his. But I do wish he were my nephew to play and watch while he grew up. I guess in a bit he’ll forget me so when next we meet, if that ever happens, he wouldn’t even recognize me.
I wish I had gone to Lucknow. I would have enjoyed the fun and he’d have been there to enjoy it with me. I just couldn’t make his family understand that spending my time babysitting him was entirely voluntary, more than that, it was what I looked forward to everyday.
I suppose that’s how it is with Dada and the pishis. Will I still go all silly about Ghocha in twenty years’ time, the way they go over Dada? I have a strong feeling I will want to.
Ghocha, you are allowed to have rum, I believe, so I’ll have a Bacardi in your memory. If only you were old enough, I’m sure you’d approve ;-)

13 comments:

Sue said...

Ah, well, if I shd get married you'll meet her at the wedding. She thinks I'm ancient enough to enter the married state, btw. Soon be past my sell-by date and all that!

Beq said...

Don't get married. Its a drag!!!

V said...

HAH! And that's not directed at the sterling boy, missy!

Ayesha said...

This juvenile squabbling...

Ayesha said...

Incidentally, sorry about the long gaps. I have the nicest intentions but they don't seem to translate into action. I really have been quite busy. Am still, I think. :-)

V said...

Juvenile squabbling indeed! Chasing after toddlers...

Ayesha said...

Guys, no blogs before next month. Sorry. Just can't find the time.

beq said...

write blogs moron

Ayesha said...

Write mails, fuckface.

V said...

let's keep this place clean?

Beq said...

ghocha eh? Well, everyone has their fave kid. I guess the one I increasingly think of is Miss "punch you in the buttum!". But then again, little girls are so gear!

Sue said...

Note: While posting, I missed out the first comment here, which is Beq's, directly above this one.

GettingThereNow said...

Test comment