Sunday, May 30, 2004

From a mail to Rishi (I’m putting it in cos it’s about all the things I’ve been getting up to):

Taking a break of sorts from theatre for the mo. Finished the last scheduled play a fortnight ago and am now on my study leave/sabbatical. Actually, my end sems start from Monday so I suppose it should be more the one than the other but you know how it is. I said a break of sorts because there is actually another play being discussed right now. We haven’t decided which one (of two) we want to do, but the production should be around September sometime. As you can see, a break is a very relative term!

It has been ‘raining’ (something halfway between a mild drizzle and a nothing) for the last few days which is a relief. It was so hot last week I spent several days feeling rather ill in bed. When I heard from Srinivas that it’s been around 28, 30 degrees in B’lore I nearly at down and wept!
I saw a few movies recently. Funnily enough, two of them were Hindi, which has become rather rare for me now. I actually saw ‘Main Hoon Na’ and ‘Charas’. One left me holding my sides (I’m sure more than was intended) and the other filled me yearning for a smoke. Oh, and that’s another thing. I’m told approaching domesticity is supposed to tame me, and it must be true because I have been smoking up less and less frequently, almost only at big parties. Otherwise I drink!
I’ve been reading a lot of late, mainly SF, cos that’s an optional subject of mine. I will have to write an exam on Philip K Dick, Aldous Huxley and the lot next Friday… Finished ‘White Teeth’ by Zadie Smith recently. Not bad for a 19 yr-old. And am now reading Evelyn Waugh’s ‘Brideshead Revisited’. I have to read the latter because it has been recommended to me (via the Voices recco column) by a 13 yr old and it would be way too embarrassing to admit that I have not read it before.

No comments: