Sunday, February 22, 2004

Mejdadu passed away today. I need to remind myself every so often. I’ve seen him lie there and felt his forehead icy cold under my palm and I still forget. Ma is being a rock but I wonder how long she can keep it up. He was a second father to her. In certain ways I wouldn’t be surprised to hear he was the only father she ever had. As for me, well, he was the only proper grandfather I had left. Perhaps I shouldn’t say that.
He has led a good life. Never heard any bad of him and have certainly never seen any. Wonder how things will be now. Nothing was ever the same after Dadu died.It’s funny how I miss him every now and then. I didn’t when he died. I mean, I would have liked to see him but I didn’t allow myself to think about it. And nowadays I’ve taken to wondering occasionally whether he would have liked to see the woman I’ve become. I think he would. I like to think he’d be proud of me and have protected Dada and Didi from the hell they’ve been through. But then, I’ll never know for sure.
Missed you, Vicky. Was finding it really tough to keep from doing the broken hydrant imitation, and I really needed not to cry. Dr. D gave me the only genuine laugh of the day. For that alone your sins will be pardoned, Doc.
Beq, thanks again for dropping by. The family appreciates it.

Perhaps I’m going around giving the wrong priorities importance. Why do I get involved in all this theatre? What does it give me in return?

1 comment:

Beq said...

15 jugglers and 5 believers couldn't crack that age-old problem. Prior to priorities are the subjective hollers. At least you are not playing a past participle...