Wednesday, January 14, 2004

This morning my classmate Swagatam passed away in a car accident.
I’m sorry his life had such an abrupt ending, and I’m particularly sorry I don’t have nicer memories of him. The last dealings I had with him were not pleasant and it’s not a good thing to remember.
This is what scares me about being unpleasant. What if you never get the chance to retract or make up or reassure? I’m not saying I would have behaved any differently because what he did was certainly wrong, but does that make any difference now?
This is the reason why it makes sense to be nice to people. Maybe it’s an old-fashioned notion, but it does spare you a certain degree of avoidable sadness.

2 comments:

Casuarina said...

What was the 'unpleasantness' about, if I'm not being too intrusive and if you don't mind recalling it?

Sue said...

I don't remember any more.